Home assistant questions

Ok so stability issues with updates come down to the vast different number of installs, how integrated supervisor and the default add-on store are, and how docker operates.

The way HA is done on CORE it actually cuts out the default add-on store and includes HACS.

This way an update won’t be able to break all your other integrations like ESPHOME as we have them all in their own containers, isolated.

So at most, on CORE, I would think that you may need to edit a config file and temporarily disable HACS or one of its integrations if an update went wrong.

That being said before CORE when I was running on a pi4, and then a VM I never had a single issue with updates and stability.

@markus you once said that one day I would agree with you on the topic of the add-on store… That day is today.

2 Likes

If there is no HA add-on store in core how would other add-ons (both official and community) be installed (say NUT or VLC for example)?

It depends on the add-on. Those which are not container-based and exist in HACS they can be installed like normal. Those which are container based will need a thin layer of a config file created and then they can usually run on CORE without modification. Finally, there’s the option very often preferred: there may be a Node-RED node or other direct integration which will run on CORE which handles the same service/device as the add-on on HA. This last route tends to be less resource-intensive.

Thanks for clarifying. So these still run as containers within core?

NUT and VLC in particular? I wouldn’t know, it’d be up to the community to try since they are very much 3rd party. I suspect the NUT one is better to do directly in NR and the VLC one I don’t know what it is used for, so may or may not have a better/different way of being integrated with? On CORE containers run using podman (much more lightweight than docker). They also run rootless, so there are sometimes gotchas and special considerations to make. It’s all a matter of tradeoffs between convenience, security and stability. Security and stability trumps convenience as a general rule on CORE. Maybe someone among the beta testers can give some of their views on how this all is working out for them?

I shared a flow and subflow dealing with using NR to control instance of VLC via the remote http interface. I have that interfaced with virtual switches with are integrated with google, and thats how granny controls her “tv”

As for installing the “HA” VLC integration as a stand alone, untested unknown, but should be doable.

1 Like

I was just picking a couple of addons at random as examples. (BTW yes NUT works fine in node red - perhaps not good example but other ppl may have different ideas as to how they want to configure their system).

:+1:

I agree, I am trying to figure this out right now. It seems that 10.10.2.1:8123 works briefly then stops for some reason? Anyone know if there has been developments?

I wonder if a good thing for the documentation would be to provide a mapping of what IP’s/URL’s should be used and in what scenarios?

Is this still accurate?

It is, intermittent connectivity is not normal, is other things, like the HA API responding as expected? For websockets, how does it fail? Timeout? Clean disconnect?

Somehow it seemed to fix itself now, no clue why because I am using the same base url that it did not work with. I will monitor and report if issues pop up again.

Do any of you smart people out there have any idea how to make cards / a dash for Home Assistant that looks like this?

The toyota integration has been working really well and now I am trying to display it nicely.

@RRodman will probably have some good input on this one.

1 Like

Actually making a card is a rather advanced topic… One I’ll leave to the HA docs to explain.

Now creating your own dash, using existing cards, and adding more cards to get the look and feel you want should be well within anyone’s capabilities.

Probably the most important thing to know is that there are many many cards and card mods available for you to add through the HACS system, among other things like integrations and themes :wink:

Click HACS, then select frontend

Click Explore and download repository in the bottom right of the screen that comes up

Browse until you find something you like, clicking on something will open a new page giving you details about the item and the option to download it.

Clicking download will present you with a dialog allowing you to choose a version and potentially opt in or out of beta versions. Usually you can just do ahead and click download.

And then the feature will be available to use. If you are unsure of how to use the feature you have installed return to HACS then click the add-on type and then the add on itself to see info.

Actually making a dash, and making a card will require their own tutorials, so until I have time to write up something the web should be able to help you out quite a bit

3 Likes

I did watch a YouTube clip the other day talking about different custom dashboard styles that people have developed in HA. Looked interesting. Will find the link later.

1 Like

This is the very high level clip I watched the other day about 5 different dashboard options in HA. I particularly liked the concept of the last one for sharing card / tile designs, since I would like to get to the same position with my HE dashboard editor (and hopefully something similar in Core as well).

at the risk of appearing uninformed. Can someone summarize the reason for including HA within core? It seems core already has Z functionality plus influx, grafana, NodeRed, so what is the intended purpose for including HA?
And could I bring in my existing Pi4- HA install to Core via NodeRed? Or would the functionality of the packaged HA be better integrated?

For me it has allowed me to integrate my Bond Bridge (shades), Hue Bridge, Chromecast devices, Sonos speaker, EcoWitt (via HACS, not that I have kept it integrated just yet), Hubitat devices (via HACS), plus make a dashboard available with no setup at all.

Perhaps the vast library of integrations and a very feature rich phone app with a fully encrypted connection through Nabu Casa, that also serves voice assistants such as Google Home and Amazon Alexa. On top of that all “pretty easy” configurable dashboards… or I don’t know!? :grin:

1 Like

If only it was not a commercial venture, we could try and get a commission… :wink:

1 Like

Yeah, it’s a shame that the version used in CORE is not Supervised. That would open up for the Cloudflare add-on I really like as an alternative to Nabu…