Home assistant questions

That did it. Stopping NR, removing the package.json file and restarting NR gave me a 637 byte file. Installing the HA NR palette then worked. Thanks!!

1 Like

And my first working flow :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Late reply but yes. I was going to post some screens after work today but @RRodman did a much better job then I could.

I almost have everything working that Iā€™d like. Going to play with zwave mesh on my days off when Iā€™ll have time to suffer.

On that note does anyone still use the old centralize zwave/ZigBee brick plugs?

I used to see them praised as great devices.

Then I saw a movement saying that they are bad zwave repeaters and taking a bunch of hate.

Does anyone have experience when them on core / zwave2mqtt?

1 Like

Ah the old Iris stuff??? I only have about 15 of those outlet repeaters. Unfortunately I donā€™t actually have any Zwave stuff beyond a stick and those outlets as i went the zigbee/wifi path due to costs.

1 Like

Yeah those things. Iā€™ve got several of them. Just wondering if I should quit using the zwave side as repeaters and buy new onesā€¦

Itā€™s kind of funny. Itā€™s hard to find consistency in user experience. What works great for some others hate on.

This is quite the hobby we are involved inā€¦

If they work for you and your network is solid Iā€™d hang onto them. Its not like certain lightbulbs that have been proven to be crappy repeaters. I think the vastly different results with them comes down to the mesh they are used on, natural interference, configs, and maybe even sticks plugged directly into usb ports.

If anyone has more specific details or knows something about them I donā€™t please fill us in!

I have a handful of them paired as zwave repeaters on HE and never really noticed any issues, at least not any I could directly blame on the iris plugs. Iā€™ll probably add them to my core zwave mesh once I get it stable & working with everything and see if adding them slows down the network

No problem that I can see. I often wish I could complete some of these neat projects you guys build. If it comes to solder Iā€™m out. I bought all the stuff I needed to proof to myself I donā€™t have the skills awhile back.

I need to sit down and practice practice practice with some burnt out devicesā€¦

Ok the 3 biggest tips i can give for soldering are thusā€¦ Get a flux pen an adjustable temp soldering iron, and appropriately sized leaded solder.

The biggest mistakes I see people just learning how to solder make involve one of these 3 issues.

Flux pens ensure the contacts are free of contaminants and help the solder easily flow to your parts.

Non adjustable temp soldering Irons are really only useful when carefully matched to solder type and application.

Solder is really the biggieā€¦ Most people logically think they should use a lead free solder for health reasons, but as long as your area is well ventilated when soldering so you arenā€™t breathing in fumes, and you are washing your hands after handling the solder there is no danger.

Leaded solder melts and flows at a much lower temperature than non lead based, and the size of the solder determines not only how long you have to apply heat for it to reach temp and melt, but also how long that heat is going to have to be in contact with your electronics, and how much control you have over how much is applied. Heat Soak into your components is bad!!!

I just wanted to suggest that posts like this get broke into their own topics. I believe it would help new folks find the information they are afterā€¦

1 Like

ok new question. sorry but you guys are the only one I know who understand this stuffā€¦

(forgive me in advance, i may not use proper terms in some place)
I am running a custom integration downloaded through hacs https://10.0.0.233:18443/hacs/repository/413680511

It is working pretty well. I see lots of the car data and can readily lock/unlock the door through HA.

My question is around the remote start feature list here.

it would seem like remote start should be similar to the lock/unlock and would be able to control it through HA. I however cannot find any interface on the dashboard. The lock is there along with many sensors and binary sensor. One of which indicates remote start running/not running. I just cannot seem to control it anywhere.

I know likely none of you use this integration, but hoping someone can help. Or at least someone can figure out if i am just not going to be able to do this. My though is that this seems like a non standard kind of thing and might there be a setting somewhere I need to adjust to display it?

the integration also mention some gps data. I am not sure my car supports it all, however I know I can get the last location in the android app again I have the same question? Is there something special I need to turn on to display these device?

I tried to engage on the HA forum and either the project is dead or people are just not as active / friendly there.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions / thoughts.

Perhaps stupid a question, are you able to remotely start your car with the app? If yesā€¦ it will unfortunately be up to the creator of the integration to add this functionality for your specific car model. I doubt that this will have anything to do with HA in general hence the lack of response. Maybe you could try to reach the creator on GitHub (where Iā€™m guessing that the project is stored) and open a ticket there.

1 Like

yes remote start works from the app. Yes it is integration specific. From the description it seems to imply that is included? Or am i reading wrong listed on services with lock? - This is really my question. Should it be there already or not.

As to the last park location - I was able to add it to the dashboard once i put it into edit mode there was an entity listed for it. So i was not completely off. Not seeing anything but the binary sensor for the remote start so am thinking it is a lost cause.

The remote start is something that can be done by sending text commands to alexa, that route is a little more clunky and I still need to move my alexa stuff from echo speaks to node red.

I tend to agreeā€¦ unless you want to try to reach the developer(s). Glad that you found the last park location though, I missed that question beforeā€¦ sorry! :wink:

I did some time ago add my car when testing out HA, also a Toyota btw, but with a different integration because Iā€™m obviously not in North America. What I could see in the car position history was home and not_home, these could be used as triggers for some fancy automations. Like if the position changes to not_home but you are, send an announcement to call the cops! :policeman:

1 Like

If you go to Developer Tools then Services, do you see anything referencing remote start in the service selection dropdown? Canā€™t help with the gps bit, not familiar with how location data works in HA yet

2 Likes

actually yes i do - and quick test started my car! - How can i access this from the dashboard?

the gps bit I seem to have gotten

2 Likes

That Iā€™m not 100% sure on, I never used the HA dashboard much prior to core. A quick glance looks like you can add a ā€œbuttonā€ card that can call the service, or create an input boolean and an automation to call the service

1 Like

thank you for the assist - i just set this up and see your post. button works perfectly - tap to start, hold to turn off.

Home assistant is pretty neat.

Looks like this community is going to be even neater!

Thanks to everyone!

2 Likes

Yes, i set my home location in home assistant and now am getting home away messages for my car.

The radius for the geofence is huge - i cannot figure out how to make it smaller in the guiā€¦

Ok so another home assistant questionā€¦ This is for those who have used home assistant for a fairly lengthy period. I am looking at you @RRodman.

I have avoided HA for a long while due to all the reports of it being difficult to work with and many reports of it completely breaking with updates.

To the first point I have not found this to be the case. I have thought it to be amazingly easy and not at all hard to do what I would like. I have some questions and a few stumbling blocks, nothing though I think that didnt have simple solution.

To the stability point, in my limited time it has been solid. Has anyone else experienced stability issues?>