What languages will be supported?

Hoping to have more extensible development support. As I’ve seen Python and Javascript in the areas descriptions I’m hoping one or both languages will be supported along with full npm/pip capabilities for modules?

3 Likes

Extensible Development support is part of the product. The language for third party development is primarily TypeScript. JavaScript can of course also be used. Python is used internally for certain integrations. Code is contained in a package. npm packages can be partially used within the confines of safe execution within the platform. The whole platform is accessible through multiple types of APIs.
More details will come over time :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Should I vote for one I would vote for Python. As an old C/C++ and Lisp developer I see the python constant popularity growth.
Nevertheless I’ll try to adapt to whatever will be necessary. I wish to @markus @april.brandt and @spelcheck a nice journey here

2 Likes

Python is hard to sandbox and secure safely for community code, if a way to do that emerges this may be considered at some future point in time. For now, no promises. TypeScript is a very competent and comfortable language to code in.

2 Likes

I know, but you’ll love it. :wink: It’s a great language and with code completion and hints from Visual Studio Code it makes it a very pleasant experience.

5 Likes

Just enforce the use of python virtual environments for all community provided code. This will sandbox the modules and runtime requirements. You’re likely more concerned with sand boxing the resource usage though which would require going to cgroups for ensured resource constraints or with containers.

Hmm… I’m ok with containers :wink:

1 Like

This has been considered, but compared to how well TypeScript can be handled, this has too much overhead to be worth it so far. We won’t say that this won’t be considered at some point, but I truly don’t believe there will be a true need considering the amount of very diverse code available for Node. We do have certain things inside the system written in Python since it makes sense, but in general they are niche uses and most things have a better/equally good way of doing things in TS so we always prefer that when possible.

4 Likes

I could be very wordy but I’ll refrain and just agree as I see you’re point.

3 Likes

Any good intro to typescript websites?

This is a good YouTube course, the first few hours are free, the remaining is well worth it:

5 Likes

And Bryan, your software back catalogue is HUGE :woozy_face::laughing:

4 Likes

Doesn’t the use of TS rather than Groovy mean moving existing drivers/apps from ST & HE will be more difficult (eg. would require recoding rather than just ‘fixing up’)?

Yeah I’m ok with this. This I’m hoping is NOT a ST or HE clone system and should have it’s own drivers, apps, plugins, whatever they call them on this system.

The notion of “drivers” for devices is purely a ST and HE thing.

PLEASE don’t make this NEW system a wanna be clone of existing systems otherwise the writing is on the wall of the final destination. There are good things in those other systems and a lot of baggage as well. Don’t slap some lipstick on a pig and call it pretty.

7 Likes

There are alternative solutions for this but we do not run groovy.

Lets just say we have learned a lot about from listening to you guys

9 Likes

Before I go down some path to learning TypeScript it might be helpful to know if there is some preferred IDE with a Linux version. Having never coded in a group environment I’m guessing some tools will be more compatible with the “official” development than others and I’d like to avoid having to change tools somewhere down the road.

1 Like

I’d go with VSC (Visual Studio Code) for Linux. It’s what I use.

4 Likes

Thanks! I found the open source build in a repo for my distro (Arch)

2 Likes

Also, does anyone know what target version of ECMAScript they are using? I would guess ES6 but if anyone can say that would be helpful.

1 Like

That’s a pity, because Groovy is my favoured programming language. :cry:

Well maybe typescript will become another favorite?

2 Likes