Wish List For Automation Hub

Making an assumption that custom code can be freely contributed for drivers and apps I have to ask a couple of somewhat contradictory questions.

Will all your Oh-La Labs drivers/apps be OpenSource ? I don’t mean the core code implementation.

I have previously written drivers for Schneider / Clipsal C-Bus. a lighting system and I released free code (obfuscated) but I couldn’t ever release on some platforms because I am under NDA not to disclose or allow reverse engineering the underlying protocols.

Will developers be able to contribute drivers in such a way that a ‘protected’ driver could be made available? Or even a hub licensed version?

Please understand this is not my desire to publish in a closed source way, nor am I looking for $$ income, it is simply the NDA restriction. My contributions are typically OpenSource and free (unless problems arise)

2 Likes

• Hub PoE enabled
  • stackable LCD screen for simple GUI
  • stackable mini UPS
2 Likes

I have similar questions in this regard as well. There’s the NDA issue with some drivers on platforms that are source distributed and there’s also the fact that Simplex Technology is a integration business so…well we like to make money to ya know stay in business :slight_smile:

I will respond to this later this evening in detail. I have a few errands to run and there is a bit of a story there that needs to be told properly.

For now though you recognize my picture from my time on the HE forums…

2 Likes

I could get on board with that. I have only briefly looked at it, but from what I see/have read, it looks like it could do what I am doing in WC, as well as add some functionality that I don’t. It is just another thing I have to try to learn. Again, not a programmer.

I’ll be making my post about who I am to the founders section soon as promised earlier…

In the meantime as far as using NR etc goes for controlling your automations… regardless of what may or may not part of the system, well this…

:wink:

2 Likes

This I love. And for as much as I like NR I don’t wish to see that interface cross over to this product. It just feels misplaced. That’s my $0.02

1 Like

These are some parts that we can answer now, other things get to wait with responses :wink:

An MQTT server exists as part of the platform and you can also run MQTT clients if that is needed (like for some TV sets).

When possible and when it makes sense, yes. There’s a fundamental difference on how certain things are implemented inside the platform vs how they run when they are Community contributed. The license to be used might vary, however. There’s some important differences in how drivers work which make some of this a much less important issue. Rest assured there will be enough shared, at the very least, to give a very solid understanding and easy starting points for building for our platform.
There is also the fact we use TS, there is a build tool which can generate the structure of your package as well as the basics needed for the type of package being built, such as a Zigbee driver.

No NDA restrictions on how you can release your code, we are strong believers in Open Source.

We have thought about the integrators and their needs, it’s part of our platform design.

11 Likes

OK, a reeeeeal stretch here, but what the hell… coming from 30yrs in automation it can’t hurt to ask, right? Possible support for IEC 61131-3 Logic formats? This is used extensively for industrial automation platforms (PLCs, HMIs, etc) and alot of the features would fit in nicely with home automation/GUIs.

2 Likes

I’m really looking forward to see what this platform will be!

I would love the ability to export all events - easily… so I can import them in excel to have a history of my electricity usage from devices that support it.

Would be great if it was easy to upgrade your platform so I can transition to the latest hardware version without having to re-do or adjust all my rules… (back-up, restore, done)

Assuming hardware is part of it, make it easy to buy in multiple countries from a local distributor (ex.: Amazon, Aartech, etc.)

For ZWave, add the ability to setup the hub as a secondary master, if that can be made to work well… I did this before with my alarm system and it mostly worked well, but there were issues at time…

I would really like a solution that is easy to use but has all the tools required to advanced users… and always responds quickly.

6 Likes

Easy community app and driver installer and updater.

4 Likes

Automated backup to network share.

8 Likes

Be good to have an App or Driver certification scheme to qualify Users Apps and Drivers as “well behaved” etc.

• PoE powered hub
  • Dual LAN ports on hub. (Or more)
5 Likes

A built-in MQTT server and client would make integration with other platforms (eg. Node-RED) very easy - so I really like the sound of that.

Don’t know if this is on your list of priorities, but it would be useful for me if there were built-in Lutron integrations (Caseta Pro, RadioRA2).

4 Likes

I ordered one of the RadioRA2 just for adding this integration. I may not be the one finalizing that integration, but it will exist. A large portion of it is already done. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Please have something like the eventsocket on HE and MakerAPI!

Please have more out of the box integrations with major hardware suppliers (eg. Arlo, Withings, Nest, Wyze, etc) - I’m so sick of having to use IFTTT.

5 Likes

Integrations for me would be:

• Lutron Pro
  • Google Assistant / Nest
  • Chromecast support
  • Hue Bridge
  • IP to IR support (the reason I’m learning TypeScript :wink:)
  • Life360

Don’t care if they are built in or 3rd party (if code is open source, so somebody else could carry on the code if dev disappears). As long as they are full option, not scaled back ‘just the basics’ versions. Too many of those offered elsewhere.

5 Likes

For me, Ring Alarm integration is critical.

My automations and alarm are inextricably linked. :slight_smile:

• Google Home
  • Phillips Hue
  • Chromecast (for TTS)
  • Z-Wave (including 2x, 3x, 4x, 5x taps on Inovelli and up to 3x on Jasco switches)
  • Zigbee
  • Alexa
1 Like

Amazon doesn’t allow just anyone to integrate and the existing integrations from most platforms are half-working hacks. There is no way I would trust a cloud based “security” system with a hacked integration. There are far better real security panels that have clean and supportable integrations with many automation platforms. ELK and DSC are the two most popular.

Your list looks very typical of the average consumer that buys stuff without a plan of how to use it. Not being rude just direct about the list. This is common and isn’t a surprise. Most DIY home automation fails because there’s no plan and the devices/components are not meant to integrate with anything.

Mistake one most make is buying stuff and trying to make it “work” with some controller they just happened to choose because it was on sale. Imminent failure.

I have light switches that cost more than the typical consumer hub! The hub or control processor should not be the cheapest component of your setup. It does not have to be the most expensive piece either.

Buy a control/automation system and then build around that. You don’t build a house starting at the roof.

2 Likes

I think you’re missing the point of this thread… It’s a WISH LIST. :wink:

Guess there is no reason for anybody to be here then. No system available and everybody already has stuff. :man_facepalming:

Just saying… :smile:

6 Likes