The Forbidden Schlage Lock

Honestly, I am kinda over the whole hype thing. I feel like being cautiously optimistic is the healthiest mindset for all parties involved, you minimize getting burned that way.

That being said, everything I have seen so far regarding the Core had been very promising but I just don’t know how else to drum up support given the core demographic is the HE community, but any mention of OLL there risks getting nuked off the forums and even platform in general.

I think the best way is probably to contact developers of the apps you use on the daily with HE, since the 3rd party support IMO is THE thing that puts HE over the competition, and make sure they are aware of what is going on here. A sort of “You build it, they will come” mentality.

4 Likes

Just an active thought: They can’t ban everybody. Turns out, that’s bad for business. :wink:

[EDIT]
Also keep in mind that we would never ask you to.

1 Like

Like it or not, they can do whatever they want as long as they are the top dog, they have all of the leverage (short of an organized and mass exodus) and atm I do not want the headache of that mess, especially if my latest foray into Home Assistant is anything to go by.

I know and I hope that attitude sticks through failure AND success. I have an inkling that it will given every interaction I have had with the team, but only time will tell.

1 Like

We hope to be successful. There are no plans to give up, so there is only one way. I will assure you that if we do achieve the perception of “big dog” we will remain humble and customer minded. We’re always listening and working to make things better. And that includes talking about and integrating with other platforms. We will strive to continue in that way of thinking. I am ever impressed with the amount of detail we’ve discussed this in group meetings. I know that there has been some silence as of late, but days are counting down. Shit’s getting real. We’re ready for this. Just for the record, we didn’t purchase a banhammer with our package.

1 Like

Just a update … paired a really slooooow z-wave pir motion sensor. It discovered in 3 seconds. Responsiveness is good considering they’re infamous for doing what they want. Pairing experience optimal. UEF optimal. SAF optimal. I will continue to run through devices. There are a lot.

Slow in what regard? Pairing process or realized latency for the automations? If it is the latter is it actually faster on Core?

If you’re familiar with the gocontrol pir sensor, I think you know the answer to that question.

It paired in 3 seconds. Three. I was impressed, but this system usually doesn’t leave me disappointed. I’d have to run it for a while to really judge latency and performance, but this sensor in my experience is slow by nature.

[EDIT]
Looking at the logs, I can see the response is snappy, but I’d be curious to set up a side by side. Ironically, I have 4 of these sensors spread around the house. Maybe I’ll do that this week if time allows.

1 Like

I would be interested in seeing how they compare to Iris 3326-L sensors if you have those, kinda apples to oranges, but since IIRC those are basically considered best in class for snappy motion sensors it would be interesting.

1 Like

Maybe this is worth some buzzzz…

Just a little sample of the cores timing executing an automaton for me through the optional native node-red instance… thats 35ms from button press to light reporting back its turned off…

For a bit more context, the flow is not a simple button press light off command.

The actual flow goes as follows.
Single button pressed.
Button event - check if single, double, or held, if single request light power status, if on send light the off command, get reply from light with its status indicating it has turned off.

2 Likes

the gocontrols won’t compare to the Iris sensors. I have about 30 of them spread around the house. I will surely compare the Iris sensors apples to apples between the different systems, but they’re, IMHO, hands down better than the gocontrols.

1 Like

I can help with that too… i have tons of those

Wait how are you getting such little latency with this kind of automation and not having a “double-press” also trigger the “single press” command? IIRC Inovelli switches do stuff like this, but they had to introduce a manual delay to decide if it is a single click or just the first of two clicks.

Two words
GO CORE!

Timing on how button presses register is a driver thing not something I’m controlling in node red.

I’m also not double pressing a button physically in under 35ms lol

the 35ms is from when the event comes in until the light replies it is off

1 Like

Oh okay, so the 35ms is from detection of single or double press to the reply of the light versus first press to light reply?

I have seen people’s flows for controlling a pico remote with a software definition of multiple presses and that’s what I thought you were doing.

1 Like

No my button natively sends single double and held presses, i dont have to do that in a flow. if i did i would be adding about a 250ms delay to allow for the second click to register, and that wouldn’t be counted against execution time anyway as its a forced delay. :wink:

2 Likes

I really should have just used a motion sensor to show off the timing but i didnt feel like getting up and going into another room to trigger any of them lol

I probably should have also mentioned the lights i am controlling are in fact Wi-Fi lights… making that 35ms all the more impressive :wink:

2 Likes

LOL. Challenge accepted! :grin:

1 Like

Ran into an interesting situation this morning. It seems that my Alfred lock failed to deploy after my husband left for work. Nothing in that mesh has changed. Only the removal of my Schlage. Looks like I know what’s next to test.
Things are never boring.
#lookingforwardtolaunch

Curious to see how “does not play well with others” devices work when used on the Core. Right now I have all my Aqara contact sensors running on a separate HE hub with Ikea outlets as repeaters, since I’d read that the Aqara Zigbee implementation wreaks havoc on 3.0-compliant networks. My original HE runs my other Zigbee network. No issues with this bifurcated implementation, but it’s a hassle remembering which hub to log into for a given Zigbee device. If all my Zigbee devices could live on a single network I’d be much happier.