The Forbidden Schlage Lock

So everyone that knows me, knows how careful I was with my Schlage BE468. “Don’t rock the boat.” “Get a good repeater.” These are words I would echo religiously. Why? Because my lock worked. Every time. Well … today. I joined my BE468 to the Core. No repeaters. Actually, no other mains powered devices for it to bounce off of at all at this point. Boy was I nervous. So nervous, I put off doing this for hours. I did promise the group that I’d do it. But, the thought of fighting with it. That picky lock. Finally, I could put it off no more. I ventured out to the garage and performed an exclude. It was like nails on a chalkboard. I not only excluded it, I reset the lock. I’m all in at this point. I have no intentions of turning back. First pairing failed. Performed a generic exclude and then a generic on the core. Chose join secure. The countdown began. My heart is racing … 29… 28 … entered in my pairing code to the lock [light blinking] 20…19…18…17 … device 4 discovered! It took only 4 seconds after I entered the pairing code to discover it. I paired it IN PLACE. OUTSIDE. Still in the door! I’m pretty happy with that. As of now, I have user codes taken care of and have it loaded into my automations. Just another box checked on my bucket list.
GO CORE!

4 Likes

Imagine that… Who would have ever thought. :speak_no_evil:

1 Like

Now for the even bigger test, see if the shoddy Z-Wave implementation of the August Pro line of locks works…

All jokes aside, this is great to hear and I can’t wait to get my hands on a Core.

Good news!
Go the core! :grin:

1 Like

If you want to send it over to me, I’d be happy to confirm. :grin:

2 Likes

Next to join are my Alfred’s. I need to learn a bit more about my schlage and the data so that I can get things right first, though.

No I would not want to impose such a big burden on you…however, if you wanted to send a Core over to see if it works, I would be more than glad to test it for you guys. :grin:

3 Likes

awh snap. I don’t seem to have an extra one in my pocket at the moment. I’m too busy hoarding them here making new stuff work. I don’t know that we’ll be able to publish the supported devices list as we might run out of internet ink in trying to do so.
OLL is busy testing what we can, but we have had instant success in everything we’ve tested so far. It’s crazy. There will be some outliers to prove us wrong but at this point, I’d love to find one.

2 Likes

If that is not a testament to excellent engineering I do not know what else is, great work. I cannot remember the last project I did, physical or programming, where the first attempt had no issues.

1 Like

Thank you! There will be issues. But we will work to resolve them quickly. It would be cocky to proclaim perfection. But I will say that we will strive to listen to the issues and do what we can when we can.

2 Likes

Meh I think its ok to be a bit cocky when when our system is averaging <10ms timing from a trigger coming in to execution of the automation. :wink:

2 Likes

From when to when? Where are you measuring this?

From motion/contact trigger to execution… as in my motion detector detects motion and my lights have already received the command to turn on in less than 10ms

2 Likes

That is awesome! I’m happy to get under 500ms now, as measured in the HE logs.

I don’t miss those days at all.

I am amazed at just how many issue that were blamed off on my networks or devices where in fact just because i was trying to use the modern day equivalent of a commodore 64 as my systems brain.

Obviously we will still recommend having repeaters as everyone’s environment is different, BUT I can say from personal experience that my entire 2 story 1600sqft home, including the attic, and the sensors I have in the mailbox and shed, are all running off the core radio without any repeaters… Even my notoriously difficult PITA aqara cube just works now… before it wouldn’t stay connected 5 feet from the hub for more than 60 seconds unless you were actively using it… No more having to repair every-time i want to use it. The drawer of shame is empty :confused:

3 Likes

This is excellent news. I was windering if yiu guys were going to run inti these unresolvable sdk issues. From the sound if it it seems not.

1 Like

Our system is … :thinking:

sort of in a way that I can understand → “modular”. So updating one thing doesn’t break another. We … reinvented the wheel.

2 Likes

Just to update on the lock. The reason I paired it alone was because I wanted to test battery drain and responsiveness, etc. It’s crazy fast. Battery has not been affected and it’s still hitting every time without the help of repeaters. I’m only pairing battery devices to this one for the time being. Nothing that repeats. It’s not difficult to interface with everything else for the time being, but I can’t disclose why exactly that is. I love it. So, I know you will. There are so many things I’m excited about. I can’t wait.
#lookingforwardtolaunch

2 Likes

If by run into you mean self-inflicted wrong way down a one way street kinda way then nah I don’t think these guys are going to do that.

2 Likes

Honestly i am surprised there is not more hype for this. Indielaunch less than 2 weeks. Hopefully it generates some buzzzz.

1 Like