[smartly] bug report and support thread

First, happy to have you here!

You should leave the default column width alone and instead use the calibration feature. You’ll add both phones to the calibration and it’ll adjust the screen perfectly for each phone, no adjustments needed! Set your column back to what it was. It was either 135 width x 60 height, or 60 width x 22 height.

I’ll have to see screenshots to know what you mean, but I’d be happy to help! I’m going to tag @RRodman to maybe just bump up your trust level so you can do that now. Keep in touch about the other things and I’m hoping you’ll be able to post images this week :v:

I suggest using the “stock percentage” theme of the dimmer mod. that’ll give you a white percentage text to the right and will only show the blue designed text when you touch/drag.

Thank you… Not sure why the calibration isn’t working for me then. On my Samsung Galaxy S20+ and with the calibration for S20+ selected, it’s only showing 2.5 columns so I have to scroll a bit to the right to see everything on 1 screen. I’m trying to avoid having to scroll horizontally.

Also, there’s no Samsung Galaxy S20 listed under calibration. My wife’s screen DPI settings are:
360 x 670px
360 x 800px

Thanks

1 Like

Those dimensions don’t quite make sense to me, as when portrait, it might be 360px wide but should turn into like 320px when landscape because of the address bar.

Can you navigate to whatismyviewport.com on both the S20 and the S20+ and post dimensions for both landscape and portrait? You’ll need to note both values, then rotate the phone for the next set. I have the S20+ in smartly as 384x780. Thanks for the help!

TIL whatismyviewport now shows the full screen dimensions :ok_hand: rotating the phone to get other values isn’t necessary anymore.

apologies I missed this reply… please try “Generic 411-413px” and see if it works for your phone as portrait. for the S20 try “Generic 359-361px” for now until I get them both in the system.

Thank you! Using the generic the dashboard scrolling issue. However, it brought another issue. For the dimmers (both using the slider and the mod), my clicks are no longer accurate. They are skewed to the right. So as an example, if I click around the 50% level of a dimmer, it now corresponds to about 23%. Please any idea why that’s happening? Clicking the 3 dots works fine for both the dimmer tile and other tiles. Turning it off at the bottom left also works just fine.

Thanks

1 Like

You are full of surprises! At this point I’ll need you to pastebin me your JSON.

Ha! Unfortunately, the forum doesn’t allow me PM directly to you or send links yet. So I’m pasting it using spaces.

Thanks

https:// pastebin. com/yw0tReWJ

1 Like

I just tried on another of my dashboards (my wall mounted Fire HD 10 tablet using Fully Kiosk) and the same issue is occurring. but this time, it’s skewed in the opposite direction (so a click around the 23% level corresponds to 100% brightness). Screen size works great on that (using the Fire HD 10 configuration).

Sorry about my various issues tonight and thanks for looking into this!

1 Like

This is a fairly significant bug you found… I’m really surprised it hasn’t come up before.

Some technical background, we use CSS zoom/-moz-scale-transform to “calibrate” the screen to allow to x # of rows widthwise. transform: scale() works the same. the issue is the jquery-ui slider baked into HE doesn’t account for zoom/scale/transform so it is reacting to the original mouse position.

1 Like

Something else I missed earlier… On my ecobee thermostat, I use “Auto” mode. This mode has a separate setpoint for both heating and cooling. The regular HE dashboard has always displayed this well and you can change each of those setpoints separately.

ecobee Original Tile

With smartly, it only shows me the heating setpoint.

Please would you be able to make it show both setpoints?

1 Like

Please do. In fact, better to just post here as I expect those threads on HE to eventually be deleted.

smartly should recognize any attribute tile that uses ‘bpt-’ naming and should give you an option to apply CSS fixes. edit the tile in smartly and check that box. :v:

1 Like

Thanks! I didn’t see the integrated bpt fixes in the tile properties until after posting… checking the box to apply those fixes did the trick. :grinning:

1 Like

In order to use AUTO where it shows controls for both HEAT and COOL, the tile must be slightly wider.

Hello!
I am seeing issues with using Smartly Inject:

1. The tile does not always become unseen/hidden
  2. Re-accessing dashboards, the smartInject tile is often gone, and needs to be re-added.
  3. The tile often will re-add

Should I just re-run the dashboard through the dashboard engine?

Greetings! This sounds like a lot is going on, and that nothing is happening consistently. In order to troubleshoot, these issues need to be consistent so let’s break it down!

| The tile does not always become unseen/hidden

• If the tile doesn’t hide, it means there was an issue initializing smartly-inject. I would create a new dashboard, add a few random tiles to it, refresh (or back out and click back in to the new dash), add smartly-inject tile to it and the PAW should appear. Keep backing out and going back in to that dashboard to see if you can recreate the problem.
    You don’t need to update your JSON with smartly for this test.

|Re-accessing dashboards, the smartInject tile is often gone, and needs to be re-added. The tile often will re-add

• smartly-inject never removes or adds tiles, even its own tile. it does hide its own tile when it initializes though. I have a feeling once you thoroughly test the first issue above, we’ll find you probably have a few smartly-inject tiles added to your problem dashboards. If that’s the case, I’ll probably have you pastebin me your JSON and I’ll clean it up for you.

Thanks for the input.
Will try re-creating a dashboard and see how it goes

1 Like

If that goes well and is stable, definitely send the JSON of the problem dashes to me because they probably need some help. I’m sure we can fix em!

Added a new dashboard,
Ran it through the Smartly engine

1. Added smartly inject tile - when I activate the paw, the tile is hidden; when I save and de-activate it, the tile re-appears
  • Ran it through Smartly engine - You didn’t need to run it through smartly engine, but if you did make sure to refresh the page!
  • Added smartly inject tile - good, yes the tile should immediately hide itself and the PAW should be visible.
  • when I save and de-activate it, the tile re-appears - what are you saving and how are what are you de-activating?

After clicking on the paw
I then click on the Save icon to save the changes
Then, I click the paw again to get out of editing mode

Just to clarify on your first point, when i create a new dashboard I do not need to run the dashboard through the smartly engine??