[RELEASE] Tasmota for HE - Auto-detecting Tasmota drivers + Tasmota firmware 7.x/8.x for HE (for use with Tuya, Sonoff and other ESP devices)

So I bricked a light. Only a spare so not too big an issue but it would be good to learn how to fix it. Probably my fault I tried downgrading from v9.1.0.
I read the TTL comment. Any instructions for doing this with a light (if thats even possible)? I do have a USB to TTL Serial adapter (FTDI FT232RL) if thats any use (and know how to use it).
I only odered my Hubitat a few hours ago and was just experimenting in advance. I have cancelled the Hubitat for now as all my lights are Tasmota and all on v9.1.0 so dont want a new hub if I cannot use it (I wnated to do it before they posted it to save having to post if back). I can always re-order if this can be fixed and the other lights will work with it.

I should add the minimal worked. It died after I flashed the webhook one. Gets no IP address and does not light up.

@bendarklighter and @Flakie the first thing to try is the fast power cycle recovery:

Using a TTL adapter with a light can be complicated since they tend to be sealed with glue at the factory. Opening them tends to be a one-way type of thing.

I got lucky with this one (it just unscrewed) but most of my others dont seem so easy so need to get the in tial flash coreect with them. I see tx and rx and possibly ground above it (“g” if needed?) but 3.3v I cannot see.
And I am not even sure what the process is to unbrick.

I took an image but cannot post a link

found some instructions but these connectors are just too tiny for my eyes (even using camera macro mode). I will dispose of it. Do you think I went wrong comimng from the higher firmware version?

You can post links and pictures now.

yes, you probably would have needed to run reset 5 once in minimal to make sure all would work.

1 Like

Ah, I thought that was done after webhook. i will try another

When downgrading it is safest to do it after each flash, otherwise you may end up with data that shouldn’t be there. The fast power cycle reset should also work. It performs a similar reset.

Didnt’ work. Its dead too. Guess I will replace them both and stick with ST for now.

That is very strange, granted I’ve only tested to downgrade from 9.1 twice, but the route you went should absolutely work. The fast power cycle recovery is also one of those things which should most definitely work.
If these can be opened, do send pics of the board and I can help you identify what to connect to for a TTL flash.

I think I now have good connections made but Tasmotizer not able to connect.

I have:

TX to RX
RX to TX
g (ground) above RX
3v3 (way below TX) connectd to VCC
100 (way below 3v3) connectd to g (ground)

No I got these in Dec last year. At first I configured it to use with this template and it works. It was when I added it to hubitat that I see it changed the template to the brilliant one from the logs. From then the whole thing bricked and I cant get it back online. I would say it was a successful flash coz I managed to turn it on or off from the web console.

I didn’t think it can be bricked after after a successful flash and was working for a while?

you can try to the fast power cycle device recovery.

1 Like

Those connections look to be very straight forward. Do try switching RX and TX, they could be mislabeled. How many mA do you get from your TTL adapter? I’ve found some devices need it to be able to handle up to about 500mA unless you provide power separately and just keep ground common.

Edit: If the power draw is just at the limit of the TTL device, you may need to just unplug/plug back it back in with all the connections already in place.

thanks yea that worked. the AP is back up and I can reconfigure it

switching rx/tx did not work. not sure about the power but I have it connected to 3.3v is all I know. I don’t think it is even going into programming mode. conenctions look good but I am far from being great at soldering. Anyway thanks for your help but I am going to give up now. Only cheap lights and don’t want to waste any more time on them. I may revisit it again at some point.

1 Like

Sorry if this is a dumb question, I’m pretty new to Tasmota. I’m using the tasmota-hubitat bin on a D1 mini, and trying to figure out how to get it to work with load cells and a HX711 AD module. I am able to find screen shots of Tasmota where the HX711 is available for selection in the config, but I don’t see it in the dropdown list on this firmware.

Am I missing something? (probably)

You’ll need to use the sensors.bin.

Markus, is it possible to get any sort of integration with the original Tasmota firmware? I have replaced all my bulbs with LIFX but cannot find a repalcement of any kind for my bathroom light fixture (except for a Hue one that would break the bank). Besides , It is a nice fixture that has worked well for me to date.
All I need to work is on/off with a motion sensor.

I am a bit reluctant to flash the firmware as it is also on 9.1 and its a nice light so dont want it to end up with me borking it.
Though the connectors are easily accessible and easier for me to use a TTL adapter to fix if I did, I just don’t trust my soldering skills enough.

Cheers :slight_smile:

Yes, just set the device up manually using the T4HE app. The only thing missing is status updates for when the change occurred on the device. As long as all events originate from HE it should remain in sync. It would in theory be able to make it work with something as simple as a light using Tasmota rules, but I have not tried that.

1 Like