Offline Backups and updates

Since we’ve been taking security and updates, it’ll be great to know that Collective CORE will give you the ability to run completely off line unless you choose otherwise. You will also be able to perform backups of your systems via SSH or USB. I must say that it’s a nice feature if you’re running a system in your camper or cabin where internet is not an always connected service. Thoughts?

4 Likes

I really hate to compare to HE but since I’m currently grabbing the latest backup with wget and keeping it on my server where ALL my backups are I have to ask if I’ll be able to do the same with CC?

1 Like

Sorry have to ask. This includes backups of all the radios?

With the idea of security in mind, the only options that will be immediately available will be SSH and USB. The CORE backup process is intended to push that backup out, not to allow something to go and get it. It is something that we will consider in future updates, but out of the box, no.

2 Likes

We are still actively testing the backup process. Where we are with it now will allow you to completely restore Z-Wave and Zigbee. Although we are still finding some limitations in that process, it’s something that we hope to have completely functional by shipping or shortly after.

[EDIT]
I obviously didn’t finish my thought. It will also include Node-RED data if you are using the baked in version, user data and all of your work that is done within our IDE.

3 Likes

I don’t care which side initiates the connection as long as I can get it in the directory I want on the server I want. Sorry, I should have been clear about that above.

1 Like

In that vane, will it support backing up and pushing to a NAS or cloud service if we have it connected to the internet?

Then you’ll be happy, it can do that, just needs an SSH user with write access to the folder you want to store it in.

Yes, if the NAS/cloud service supports SSH file transfer. Other methods is something we’re considering to potentially add.

2 Likes

I like the backup option being made available, and am happy with the initial offering, but would eventually like to see the ability to initiate a backup externally. This would allow for coordination of backups across related systems to be taken at a similar time.

3 Likes

Not sure if this would provide any extra credibility security-wise to my last post… perhaps include the ability to initiate the backup externally, but rather than returning the backup as part of the http call, what if the http call simply initiated the backup to be sent to a location configured on the hub…?

1 Like

That could be done, the backup can be initiated through the API, just not returned.

3 Likes

Wait - what? What did I miss here? Node-RED will be pre-installed or is that the dev engine?

That’s what they’ve said

Pretty cool, huh? Node-RED AND our very own logic engine.

4 Likes

I’ll bet the answer is “no” but since I just read a pissing contest on the HE community over backups being password protected (and not a user-supplied p/w) and in a offbeat format I have to ask: what is the backup format (tar?) and is there anything that keeps users from toying with it? Not that its a good idea to do so but it’s a question of openness.

The backups are your data. They do not include the OS/API. Do with them what you want.

1 Like

What format are they in?

The format is not being shared with me. A final decision hasn’t has been made on this. But I’m being assured that user data will be yours. API and database will not be accessible. Some information needs to remain protected for your sake.

That was with me, and I never knew about the potential for unfriendly treatment of the HE community for some people… real shame as I was about to invest heavily into the platform (time wise) but will probably tread carefully… :pleading_face:

1 Like

I’m sorry that your experience over there was not so good. It’s seems a bit unpredictable as of late. Since we’re about to launch our very own environment, I encourage you to join our adventure. We won’t judge when you have questions or findings related to other communities. We strive to be all inclusive. Welcome!

4 Likes