LED Rabbit Hole

Oooh. Will you guys be releasing something along these lines as well?

No promises, however I do have a few ideas I plan to go over with the group. The more lighs I run the more ideas I get :wink:

1 Like

I was waiting for it to dance with some music! :grin:

Eventually… I have the FM transmitter, built a dipole antennae to go with it etc…

Blame customs and laziness for lack of a fancy show… I’m waiting on another 3k leds to arrive, i need to make candy canes, snowflakes, trees, outline the house and so much more lol

I also tore apart one of those tree dazzlers, replaced all the leds and the brains… So my inside tree is now full addressable as well :wink:

and yes before anyone asks i am addicted

2 Likes

No you’re an enthusiast :wink:

1 Like

No I think I am addicted…

3 Likes

now we need details. how did you do that?

I’m guessing it’s the Hue gradient light strip + sync box… would be awesome if it’s something else/cheaper.

i was thinking the same but wanted to confirm… i have the sync box and have been considering that fancy light strip.

You would be guessing incorrectly… total cost of this ambilight was ~$18.00 that includes all hardware used.

This setup is literally addressable Leds, a wemos D1 mini, and my pc.

Short and sweet -
Install Wled to a Esp board, attach leds to back of tv, count how many leds are on each side of the tv. Install hyperion onto PC. Configure Wled for your network and number of leds, configure hyperion to screen capture your pc, tell it how many leds on each side of the tv and then let it send control data to your wled instance.

If you want to create a “standalone” version you can use a raspberry pi in place of the PC and the wemos board, BUT you will need the loopback card for input unless you just want to match the pi’s display out.

I’ve had the lighting for 2 days now, and it really does help with immersion into shows and movies aside from just looking really cool :slight_smile:

Should I maybe write up a tutorial on this?

Excuse my language but HOLY SHIT are those hue solutions insanely expensive and very sparse on the number of leds you get… Now I think Oh-la needs to release their own ambilight solution…

5 Likes

Yes please!

exactly why i was wondering if you guys were going to spin something up. though its hard to beat the sync box capabilities for this, just plugged in to the line with all the hdmi cables no other hardware they are stupid expensive.

The diy solutions usually push just a little bit past my comfort zone, knowledge and skill set. It would be great to have an economical plug and play solution for this.

Yeah, watch your language, gutter gums! :rofl:

I’ve been running a Hyperion setup myself on a RPI, but recently Gledopto released a nice looking sync box. I’m waiting for an excuse to buy one : https://www.aliexpress.com/i/1005001394260164.html

There is a reason for that. No cheap DIY solution is currently able to cope with 4k HDR signals. The Hue sync box is actually the cheapest available non camera based solution that can do this.

I’ve had a go with a pi version of @RRodman’s setup but unfortunately the project hasn’t been viable since I started going beyond normal HD and SDR.

Check the reviews on aliexpress and amazon. For the extra $ I’d go with hue which definitely works. And it’s not a new product, been out for a year as far as I can tell.

If Core can engineer a product which uses easily available RGBW strips for under US200 I’d be all over it.

I wouldn’t really call averaging the entire screen into a single color backlight for ~$200 nice… Reminds me of something I had rigged up with an old LedWiz back in 98… and really if thats all your after itd be far cheaper to use a cam and esp8266 or pi 0

IMO this is exactly why camera based systems are the only viable option for me until we get something that is dedicated as part of the tv to give us raw pixel data. Today it is 4k HDR, not even going to touch which flavor of HDR btw, but tomorrow it will be 8k or 16k or another color standard or another HDR standard that will make everything I have done either moot or I have to have a degraded experience. Cameras work with any number of inputs, with any number of standards or with any resolutions.

It is really odd to me that Govee seems to be the only player in town that gets that. I guess it is because you can sell a single $100 Govee unit today or a $230+ sync box setup every couple of years.

A potential viable alternative to a camera system would be a splitter so the normal data passes through without issue unaltered but a copy is made which could be masked or downsampled or whatever and then the led processor uses that copy instead. But I assume that would run into HDCP issues as a similar tech could easily be used for piracy.

hyperion has a camera input option too. But placement is an issue (perspective correction)

Can do that today. HDFury’s Diva will do that but I’ll leave the interested to google the price. (Hint: it’s way more expensive than a hue box)

1 Like

This is what I did for my home theater. My splitter is cheaper than the HDFury but more than I wanted to spend. I use Hyperion on Raspberry Pi and a NodeMCU with WLED installed. It controls over 250 LEDs on a 104" diagonal homemade screen. It works great but I don’t have a 4k projector… yet. There currently isn’t that much providing that good a signal yet that I watch.