LED Rabbit Hole

I like this HUE alternative box, looks like a good contender: REAL Philips Hue HDMI Sync Box Alternative | NEW Lytmi Neo HDMI 2.0 Unboxing and Setup - YouTube

Looks interesting. Is there any kind of api to integrate with?

#wearestillhere

That looks pretty impressive - fairly fast response (compared to a camera), HDR+/Dolby Vision (claimed), 4k at a very affordable price.

Paul Hibbert just did a video on version 1.4. it looks like they enclosed the LED strips for version 2.0. I donā€™t see a way this can be used with a projector on opposite side of room from screen without a really long USB cable if that is even an option.

1 Like

Was very tempted by the hue box during BF. So glad I didnā€™t now.

If you have an android TV you can install hyperion android grabber onto it which will run in the background and send the video data over to Hyperion to interpret and drive your Wled leds.

The biggest downside with this method is DRM protected APPS like netflix and amazon will not send the video data so your leds wont work with them.

@RRodman Iā€™m not quite as far down the argb rabbit hole as you yet, but only due to budget limitations. Been running a permanent wled installation as the main lighting in my game room for years, 450 LEDs along the top of the walls bouncing off the ceiling.

Didnā€™t know about the Hyperion Android client, might have to look into that

Iā€™m toying with the idea of doing a diffused run along the baseboard in each room of the houseā€¦

Iā€™d be interested to know what you (or others) may choose for a diffuser, Not particularly happy with (now a very old) choice of bare Philips Hue light strip alongside a wooden floor. Not impressed by the individual lights spaced throughout the strip stuck under my bench, would much prefer a continuous, soft lightā€¦

Rule of thumb for a diffuser. The distance between the ledā€™s is the minimum distance from the led to the diffuser cover. I definitely didnā€™t buy mine with that in mind. I can say that. But I just really wanted something because I donā€™t like the way raw LEDā€™s look stuck to something. It just gives a finished look.

2 Likes

Just keep decoratingā€¦ So very far behind scheduleā€¦ Doubt Iā€™ll get an actual show done this year :confused:

2 Likes

Just thought Iā€™d note. Hue does have a pc app that works for this. Problem is the content has to be played on the pc. I used it two different ways. Had the same video playing on pc and TV at the same time with pc monitor offā€¦ Or just wiring the pc direct to the tv

There was an android app I used that used the android camera to scan the screen and make the lights sync.