iZone Air Conditioning Drivers

I have been running my iZone system with these drivers now since early 2019 without issue so I wanted to share to anyone else running this system. I can offer any feedback as required too if you need any guidance from a long term user. If you live in Australia you are probably familiar with iZone here who are located in Perth. Anyways they offer many things now but are well known for their ducted air-conditioning interface.

The 2 drivers that are used to control the iZone AC system can be located on a public GPL V2 license here.

• iZone.groovy - is used for the Master Panel control
  • iZone_Zone_Settings.groovy - is used for each zones 1-12 and offers a thermostat for each of them.

Important considerations when implementing Airstream iZone with Hubitat are listed below

1. Out of the box functionality for Airsteam iZone is that the tablet/controller is configured as ā€œzonesā€ in the admin panel (note default password is wamfud) under controlling options. This should be in ā€œzonesā€ mode previously it was recommended as R/Air but I wouldnā€™t do that as the R/Air sensor is not as good to use for heating and cooling your home. The reason this was done was due to the setting reverting back when you changed temp to say 25 it would then go back to whatever your tablet had. I got around this by applying the temp to Zone 1 and using NodeRed to update the remaining automatically.

2. When putting Hubitat rules together in RM and referencing ā€œACErrorā€ under http://iZoneCB/SystemSettings note that there is a JSON tree code error where it should be ā€œOKā€ itā€™s actually " OK" (note space).

3. Another oddness Master Panel will not show temperature when set to R/Air so you need to pull the temp from Zone 1 to show it.

In addition, the iZone.groovy file has presence detailed for the iZone bridge which is handy but I wanted presence detection for the wireless battery controllers in each zone as well so in Nodered i put together the following flow:

3 Likes

@bendarklighter I believe you were asking how to use these on the other community so if you require guidance reach out.

Thanks very much. This is my setting at the moment. But Iā€™m getting this error for master panel and zones everytime it refreshes. Not sure if itā€™s related to the R/Air setting or is there something else Iā€™m missing.

dev:6502021-01-13 09:44:37.099 am errorsomething went wrong: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Response does not have a content-type header
dev:6502021-01-13 09:44:37.061 am errorsomething went wrong: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Response does not have a content-type header
dev:6502021-01-13 09:44:37.051 am infoPulling Zone 5_8 Settings
dev:6502021-01-13 09:44:37.048 am inforefresh 5-8

Also I found a bug on line 365 of the code

sendCommand '{"SystemMODE":"vent}'

Missing " at the end on vent

Update all: We are working with @bendarklighter via PMā€™s in an attempt to resolve his issues. Once I know more I will update here. It seems an iZone update has occurred causing issues on newer firmware units.

Iā€™m also about to setup a new iZone with the added bonus of Irrigation and potentially some lights and garage door controllers. I also have a copy of the iZone network protocol json header files so hopefully I can fix any issues with the current drivers and code.

@jchurch is the iZone groovy source still available?

Sure is. Please see here.

Note, these drivers are not supported by Oh-La LABS. We will be supporting iZone though.

Thanks - why does the code mention Scott Grayban as the author? What was the origin of the code and where did it come from?

I paid Scott to write this code for me in early 2020. You can find the original driver code in my original post (although it seems his gitlab is down atm).

Iā€™ve found a few errors in the code and fixed it for a current iZone system and currently having it working for me in a HE system. I think Iā€™ll probably re-write the entire driver stack and use the child component thermostats etc

1 Like

Excellent, yes I have an edited version with the fixes too. Sorry I should have passed that over sooner. If you do end up rewriting it with the child components definitely share that for all that would be great. I am sure @markus would be keen to see that too.

@jchurch
Iā€™m about to get iZone installed cause I saw your development with HE.
any tips or advise with this system before the install?

1 Like

Nice. The only thing Iā€™d have done if I was just starting out and it was within my control not my builders Iā€™d have gone wired sensors per zone not the battery RF ones. The batteries do last a long time but I have had to replace some and or had to press the pair button because they have dropped off a a couple of times since 2019.

Otherwise itā€™s a great system and these drivers integrate it well. I have built on it more with NodeRed but these drivers easily allow that to happen.

That would be so awesome. Having 8 thermostats polling for the same info is kinda killing my hub so I had to set a longer refresh time.

Thatā€™s true @bendarklighter and while I donā€™t have any issues myself due to only 6 theromstats but bigger systems most definitely so simply polling the once for all would make a lot of sense. Anyways I am looking forward to what @gslender puts together :call_me_hand:

Another question from the new guy (so close to purchasing air conā€¦ :grinning:)

Iā€™m definitely getting wired sensors!
Is the WiFi Bridge the only way to connect to the controller. Or can the controller itself be cabled back to a switch?

1 Like

The iZone CB (control bridge) uses RF to talk to the CPU (green router) in ceiling including RF sensors if you have them too. My CB is connected to ethernet (100Mbps). My tablet on wall in loungeroom is ethernet back to the CPU. So no WiFi is used at all.

@Beeble1983 I saw you are expecting to use the Nexus tablet as an android device to run your Hubitat dashboard. Fyi it cannot do that itā€™s completely locked down for iZone only it does act as a zone sensor for that area though which is handy.

1 Like

Wow I didnā€™t see that, got mixed up with the myair systemā€¦thanks.
Screenshot_20210629-205956_Chrome

1 Like

@jchurch is this your setup?

So I want mine all wired too, but still need the ā€˜Wi-fi bridgeā€™ becauseā€¦ ā€œitā€™s really an IP bridge with WiFi.ā€

1 Like