Iris 3210-L2 Z-Wave being stubborn

So to possibly fix that plug… force remove it from z2m, unplug it and let it sit for at least a full minute. then press and hold the power button as you plug it in and do not let go. continue to hold it in for at least 30 seconds. during this time you will NOT see the device try to join your network, and may see the light start flashing oddly or red. this is good. Now we want to pull the plug from the wall and wait another 15 seconds, then pair it normally.

With a little luck it will work again.

1 Like

Z2M or Zwavejs2mqtt? My Z2M side has been rock solid between factory resets (unplug hold button plugging in until it lights then let go).

To the security questions, it is a zwave plus router and can securely forward packets, BUT it must be joined in the same security mode the device you want it to repeat for uses.

Me too but i do have switches. I recommend that you get a couple of aeotec repeater 6. Your problems will be solved. I know they’re a bit spendy but locks need beaming and those plugs don’t have it. if you add the repeaters you’ll be where you need. One in the same room with CORE and two spread out within the house somewhere. they’ll earn their keep. I promise you that.

Well unpair from Z2m and exclude from Zwave. Sorry I’m used to talking zigbee.

You want to remove it from both before performing the long press so it isnt being queried by either network… They can be a bit picky getting them to properly factory reset themselves, especially because there are a couple what i can only assume are undocumented debug modes the iris devices can be placed into with certain timed holds and presses.

1 Like

Are you sure about that, Zwavejs2mqtt (boy we need a better acronym for that) says that it does support beaming (at least on the ones that interviewed properly) as you can see in OP.

I have a BE468 Z-Wave that’s rock solid. Never misses, doesn’t eat batteries. Doesn’t spam. No Lie. Just those little repeaters doing their job. Best investment I’ve made.

Thats no fun though, why throw money at a problem when you can rip your hair out for free :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

So do my switches, but those aeotec’s do it better. my locks and switches mostly run through the repeaters before anything else.

I forget, does unpairing in Z2M like legit unpair it as in it generates a new ID # and I have to fix any NR sequences that use it. Or when I pair it back will it just recognize that it was previous paired and assign it to it’s old location?

In z2m don’t unpair it. Just reset the switch without unpairing and then pair it back and it will pick up where it left off.
The system will actually tell you that it left the mesh when you reset without unpairing. But it really didn’t. and it’ll remember it.

1 Like

Z2m identifies the devices based off of their hardware ID, NOT the friendly name, friendly name is just used for human readability. Removing a device will not break automations on remove and rejoin UNLESS you manually remove the device info from your config file. Otherwise on repairing your flows will just pick back up, Restarting the container before re-adding the device however MAY break automations… I’m not 100% on how the database and file are affected by container rebuilds in this specific set of circumstances.

1 Like

So with this in mind, I assume these cannot forward any S2 packets?

I did this, but the lights didn’t do anything I would consider odd and definitely no red. The light was off initially, flashed once, then came on at the 5 second ish mark and then stayed on for the rest. I thought the factory reset procedure was hold while plugging in and then release once the light comes on.

It is, but the longer hold appears to trigger something else to take place (i have no idea what) that seems to resolve issues the standard reset doesn’t. Its a long shot fix, but easy to try and cheaper than replacing a device :slight_smile:

correct. you would need to exclude and re-include them and make sure they are included with security. how you do that would be a question for April or Markus, they have real Zwave experience, I just read docs.

1 Like

It is continuing to be stubborn, but I just tried another plug and it worked without issue. I think I just won’t pair this one to z-wave, there is a second plug right next to it anywho that paired properly so its value as a repeater was limited to begin with, but it would still be nice to know what is going on.

Also regarding the security, I cannot seem to pair it as S2 and when I do Default but force S0, it just pairs without security.

Also, are “ghost nodes” still a thing in ZwaveJS2MQTT because I am up to ID 20 with only 4 devices now…

So I think there is something else in play because this now extended to one of the devices that was previously working and even now to my August Pro Gen 3 lock…

Maybe its about time one of us went ahead and spun up an instance of the old IRIS platform so we can update our old iris stuff, maybe even spin out new firmware to fix some issues, or improve the zigbee drivers…

It’s been on my to-do list since I first discovered the IRIS devices about 3 years ago, but I haven’t had any “needs” causing me to dive in yet.

1 Like

When I initially got these plugs I looked into updating them because people said firmware was everything, but I thought that even with the Arcus project, you could not do stuff like this. Let me see if I can find that discussion on the HE forums.

I also heard rumors that you could update FW via smartthings? But that has been shutdown by now.

Grain of salt, but:

This is 100% off the top of my head with zero research, meaning it is not only possible but very likely i am mixing info from various projects so take the following with a large grain of salt…

The devices required the proper certificate to be installed on the hub or they reject the firmware updates. Smart Things WAS the only thing with a valid cert, BUT at some point the one used by lowes was either released into or reversed by people involved in the continued dev of arcus making it possible to update them there.

Edit: I love that we both chose the grain of salt phrasing

1 Like