Getting started

I wanted to throw out there that once you receive your COREs, it will be a good idea to run through the welcome and getting started portions of the documentation. It’s not entirely complete, but it does explain how to get going and how to set up your certificates and explains the username and password stuff. It’s important and I just might not be readily available for you right away. I do find time to sleep and work a full-time job for the time being. We’ll do our best to be around.

12 Likes

Sleep is for the weak: there is only the Collective.

3 Likes

I …
I …

LOVE YOU!
:grin:

2 Likes

So your username is ironic? Just checking. :wink:

3 Likes

I was wanting to shutdown the Core hub before I installed the Zigbee radio I bought, but I can’t seem to find any notes on how a recommended shutdown or reboot process. I am familiar with the commands on Linux / rpi’s, but just wanted to make sure those are what should be used on Core? Perhaps an entry in the Common Commands section, unless I have missed it (highly likely)…?

1 Like

Fastest way. Sudo halt

1 Like

Probably not worried so much about speed, evidenced by my openness to distractions… :wink: whatever is best to shut down running services and put everything in it’s place before shutting down the hub. I tend to use “sudo shutdown” I think it is. As long as there is nothing special about Core in this respect.

Would be nice if the web-based UI we currently have access to included a way to initiate this… Both reboot and shutdown.

Either is fine, in the respect there’s no difference to any other Debian-based distro.

We have considered it and it might be added to the start menu, but for now I suppose you could use NR with an inject node and bigssh. It’s not super-straight forward to accomplish though due to the fact that you can’t ssh as root by default and automating sudo is… fun to do securely…

1 Like

I am probably missing something obvious, but how do I get access to the documentation :grey_question:

You needed to be activated, I’ve activated you, if you can’t see the documentation, just log out and back in again.

That sorted it - thanks. :white_check_mark:

Not sure if it’s because I set a fixed IP in my router… but I keep getting prompted for the log in credentials each time I access:

https://collective-core.local/

I thought it was meant to remember the credentials for a period of time…

EDIT - My bad, I think I need to follow the instructions and setup the certificate… Yep, that was it, but it didn’t work for the URL in the documentation, just the reserved IP I setup…

Make sure you check the remember me box when logging in to the web interface.

The URL in documentation may or may not work depending on your network setup, and def wont work if you already have a local domain declared that differs from .local.

I’d recommend setting and accessing CORE with a static IP address, as in my experience the .local stuff can be rather unreliable.

1 Like

I have previously setup dnsmasq on a rpi setting up the .local domain. I added the fixed IP I configured for the Core into the /etc/hosts, which I believe dnsmasq is referring to…

Not a big deal atm, might just be something to play round with throughout testing to nail down a preferred set of steps, at least for me :wink:

1 Like

I have to agree on the local DNS thing being unreliable at times. Particularly with the latest Android phones which seem to refuse to use my local DNS servers, no matter what I do. I can’t even remote desktop into my server by name, having to use the IP instead. From my reading, there does not appear to be any way to override this either using standard settings and software. Stupid Google.

That said, I will still configure a proper name in my local domain for the unit when it arrives today, I am not a savage.

1 Like

You could always redirect all outgoing traffic on UDP port 53 on your firewall to just send it to the local DNS :stuck_out_tongue: I did that for parts of my network yesterday. Really no choice in my case, being in China some DNS servers can’t even be connected to very quickly and local caching is the only way to improve performance.

2 Likes

Oh, that is sneaky, and easily done in my Unifi firewall! Thanks for the suggestion.

2 Likes

While I wait on delivery of my CORE, I was running through my head where i’ll start…
To move my zigbee devices from HE to Z2M on CORE, is the only way to do this turn off HE zigbee and re-pair on Z2M? Or can they be transferred in way without needing to access each device?
(mind you, I haven’t rtfm so if it’s in there, don’t flame me :grinning:)

1 Like

While it is technically possible, we don’t recommend doing it that way and we don’t include the tools to move from HE. Depending on the amount of radio interference, you could fire up CORE and change your Zigbee channel. Both will run harmoniously. If you refer to recommended pairing guidelines in CORE documentation for guidance, you’ll find that your pairing process is pretty painless. Pairing is insanely fast and easy for most devices. There will obviously be outliers. Remember to pair powered first.

1 Like

Thanks! :grin:

1 Like