And of dashboards?

I’d like to assume the best but I have to wonder what will be for dashboards? I never liked HE’s idea on the subject and node-red is arguably worse. What I’ve really liked is jpage’s

It’s the cat’s meow, IMO, very flexible and easy to use, which is great for the less geeky in our homes. Unfortunately it is HE and Android specific.

Will CC come with a flashy dash? Or something like Maker API so it’s possible to build something like the above?

1 Like

Hmm … what would you look for in a perfect world? I’d like to hear some use cases.

1 Like

I’m not the most artistically-minded, so some pre-canned layouts would be nice, say a standard “room” where you might select a single or list of contact sensors, temp/humidity sensors, lights, etc, and these are then displayed in a template dashboard layout, where all the layout, colour choices have been made for a nice, presentable dashboard.

Having multiples of these dashboard templates for other situations would also be nice, like one’s for media, etc, and maybe device types, like a dashboard or dashboards just for lighting, or just for shade / blind control.

3 Likes

I think the fact that a lot of people use Homekit purely for their front end should be taken into account. Now I am not advocating for a Homekit clone, not only because that would be unoriginal, but because it is unlikely to work given Apple’s massive budget to constantly keep updating and adding new features which would likely result in it eventually becoming better if the CC dashboard is just a clone. But I do think it should be taken into consideration because obviously people find that interface easy to use.

3 Likes

This more than anything for me. Id like some “pretty” themes to start from but are also customizable. Although seeing how far smartly was taken I was just thinking something amazing would come in the box.

3 Likes

What if … the entire interface was dashboard focused? And that you could drag and arrange tiles to fit your needs? Tiles. Not just buttons. Thoughts?

2 Likes

Since the cited app is by far the best dashboard I’ve seen to date I’ll refer you to checking it out on the HE community. Oh … wait … you can’t.

I’ll attempt to list the features but there is no way I’ll get them all because I don’t use them all! I’ll be using HE terminology because it’s what I’m familiar with and since I have no idea what your analog will be.

• Automatically populates the tiles from the devices made available through Maker API
  • Optionally groups all like devices into a folder titled with the device type
  • Auto-arranges tiles/folders or allows free-form placement (D&D).
  • Tile sizes can be set globally to one of seven defined sizes and individually to double wide and/or double tall
  • Operates in both local and cloud ( :face_vomiting:) mode for those who don’t use a VPN to home
  • Tiles are customizable in every way imaginable…text size, device type, icons for device conditions, colors for all elements, background, etc. (see phone screenshots below) And they can contain any image, weather map via url, webcams via url.
  • Ability to select for display any of the capabilities the device supports
  • Nested folders
  • And much more. You really have to use it to know it.

These 2 shots are of the top level of my dashboard. Near the bottom-right of the first one is a folder with temperature sensors in it and you can see that it displays the value from the first 4 of 8. You can tell there is 8 by the number in the bottom-right corner of the tile.

In the 2nd shot you can see I have folders of devices and of the 11 in Lights none of them are on. In Video Control just below it you can see that 3 of the 11 are on. The “*” in Switches shows that I just happened to catch the moment a switch turned on/off. An asterisk is momentarily displayed anytime the the tile/folder has something change.

By long-pressing a tile you get to it’s Edit page:

A recent activity log:

And Details:

I hope this mostly answers your question because I’m tired of typing. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

That works. Even better than what I just posted, if it has the depth and customization flexibility.

I think having the general interface for the platform being akin to a dashboard would be a great feature. I do, however like the clear separation of administration and presentation in the form of dashboards. There are also different ways that people like to present the same information, so one method or layout will not satisfy different use cases, I believe. So in terms of a choice for the platform more generally, I think it would be great, but I don’t know that it can be the only option.

1 Like

Actually, there will be different ways to customize your UI. Some more complicated than others. I just felt like I wanted to check in to make sure we’re still hearing you. I feel like we are. Since the question popped in, why not spark up a conversation on the topic.

We’re certainly striving to make this a great experience, and the question will remain if every UI option will be available out of the box. We hope it will as long as we have said options working 100%. What I can say is that even today as things are taking off, I’m itching to show things off because the UI is far from clunky or plain. Great care and planning are being taken to pay attention to every detail. There will never be the perfect solution to cover every situation, but this is certainly easy to use. Grandma could find things in there easily. And she can have her own user with limited permissions so clicky clicky isn’t so tricky tricky.

1 Like

That sounds great.

I feel like the UI is almost the most important part of HA systems, at least at the moment. If the average user can’t find or do what they need, you are going to limit your audience to those with HA / IT skills, which have not yet become a common skill across society.

I guess I was trying to separate the two requirements of the more general administration UI and end-user UI, and if the admin UI can in some way serve both purposes that would be a great outcome.

1 Like

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Who uses a PC… :grin:. Shouldn’t it be tappy-tappy?

1 Like

One word. Spelchek. He’s gotten hold of this. If you think smartly was fun. Just wait. I’d say he’s bringing this to a whole new level. Nothing like smartly. I would say that was a precursor to pure beauty and genius. He’s turned Markus’ k-level thinking into a thing of beauty.

3 Likes

Also, sorry @LosinIt, I did kind of take over your thread a little. That is a good write up on the features of the dashboard app, some nice options that would also be good to see filter through.

2 Likes

Pfft, it’s here to elicit info on the future in dashboards so it’s all good.

2 Likes

I feel so … used.
:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

Tread lightly, my friend.

Are you saying something akin to the Grafana interface where everything, including the administration side of the house is using the same engine as the graphics and charts you customize using the database data?

Well, we wouldn’t copy grafana, so I’d say no. But Admin and user sides are tile based. I am still discovering the Gems that are being created for us. Each update is like Christmas for me. So, when I finish adding and individually testing each of my 162 devices to make sure that they do what we want them to do and get automations built, I’ll see what comes of it.

2 Likes