Yale Smart Lock Contact Sensing

So, I have been in the market to replace my August locks and found a good deal on a Yale YRD226, side note: the zigbee module was missing, probably why it was so cheap, haha, and this is being handled via Amazon support, but this is secondary.

But in the search for buying a new module, I see that they have 4 types, Zigbee, Z-Wave, Homekit, and finally a WiFi August backed module. The interesting thing about the August module is that it appears to come with the door sense magnet that comes with the normal August lock, which is one of the few features I will actually miss from August as it is a super low profile and discrete contact sensor built into the lock and it detects the magnet that you attach on or drill into the door frame.

This is where my question comes: Does anyone know if contact can be sensed with the Zigbee or Z-Wave modules installed? I can’t believe that the August module adds an extra hall effect sensor, or whatever sensor it uses, but I guess I could be wrong. Anyone have any experience with this?

Also, as a side question, does anyone have any experience with both touchscreen and physical button locks and have any thoughts on which perform better and in what situation? To me it seems like touchscreen looks nicer, but every touchscreen I have used is extremely temperamental outside of an indoor/dry situation and dealing with that on a lock seems like a pain, especially for a coastal house with an ocean facing door. I am looking between the YRD226 and the YRD216, since I don’t think I can trust going keyless with the YRD256 yet.

Finally, does anyone know the difference between a YRD210 and a YRD216? They seem identical except that the 210 seems to be last generation, but I cannot find anything that changed. Do the new modules work on the YRD210 for instance?

1 Like

That would be awesome! I have a Yale deadbolt. I replaced the zwave with ZB one, and I’m Soooo glad I did. Zero problems with ZB, nothing but issues with Zwave (both my meshes are solid!). That being said I don’t see anything in the driver that would allow access to the contact sensor. Maybe it needs a custom driver to enable it? Totally a guess I know less than zero about drivers.

I can tell you the touch screen is supper sensitive. If you so much as slightly brush it, ziiiiittt, locked.

We do prefer the touch face (looks) over the buttons. I have never used the button one, so I cannot say for sure, but weather wise a touch screen wouldn’t allow salty moisture inside as much as “press-able” buttons might. In order to be pressed they need some gap right? Only a guess maybe someone else has 1st hand experience with that situation. I’m not so lucky to have those obstacles to overcome :wink:

1 Like