Why Did I Choose Unifi? The Struggle is Real

It may have changed but I believe you can only use ubiquiti unifi brand cameras with their protect system.

I also initially ran my ASUS wifi router with the system but you will not have access to all the unifi features and you will just replace it.

One thing I did find go at least one size bigger than you think you need.
I am running 5 separate 8 port POE (power over ethernet) switches and they are all are almost full.
I prefer hardwired connections whenever possible.
I went with separate POE switches to allow me to put a switch in different areas of the house and have POE in each area.
Very helpful when I only had to run one network cable to the garage and a POE switch in the garage off which I ran my POE cameras.
Still a pain to run the network cables but way better than having to run separate power.

This is still true. You can use their camera RTSP to other NVR which I canā€™t see anyone is crazy enough to do that.
I have 4k Hikvision for my outside running blue iris right now and will eventually pick up a bunch of UniFi Protect G3 Instant Camera for indoor.
My brother has reolink 4k and they are crazily good for the price.

1 Like

I was just checking out the Reolink Argus 2. Completely wireless and solar. The camera is only ~$75. Thatā€™s one heck of a price there.

Network ā€˜segregationā€™. Think Solar Winds hack :rofl: If all devices can ā€œtalkā€ to each other, then when one device is compromised the rest of your network is in jeopardy. If they are separate VLANs they are not. Can this be a bit much for home use, yes.

In full disclosure I do not use Unifi firewall myself, I do not like it. We run Untangle firewalls, here and for VLAN networks. No onboard logging makes troubleshooting unnecessarily difficult. That said I also have a very ā€˜complexā€™ network with upwards of a dozen VLANs. These are mainly for client hosted machines (again segregation), but I also separate stuff like @april.brandt mention.

I can confirm Ring cameras will give you fits if you 2.4/5G networks are not separated. I constantly have to reconfigure Verizon routers to allow for Ring installs and then re-enable the 5G when done. Itā€™s very nice to have multiple SSID/routing control, with or without VLANs.

Second that, I have Reolink as well. The PTZ are great for the cost comparatively. I run mine to Synology NAS, but looking into Blue IRIS for a client that runs a RV/boat lot.

I have the Argus Pro + with Solar on my desk, just waiting for spring! Interested to see how the battery stacks up against my Ring with a large solar and 2 batteries. We have a very shade yard, so it will be a decent test. Will post update come summer if anyone is interested.

2 Likes

Love to hear about it. Make sure you do a separate post on it. I think it would interest quite a few.

2 Likes

Does this work with the udm pro or have to use their nvr?

Judging by this Unifi thread, and others, Iā€™d say negative on using Reolink, or any 3rd patry cams, with Unifi Protect (Unifiā€™s camera platform).

Most (possibly all) Reolink cameras have SD slots the record to locally. They also support integrations into other ā€˜non-proprietaryā€™ NVR system (Synology Surveillance Station, Blue IRIS, etc. Reolink does also have their own NVR, but I have not used it.

1 Like

Another vote for unifi here
I just picked up another AP Pro to get better coverage out the front of my house. Between the AP Pro and AP-LR my house of well covered.
I dont run unifi router so canā€™t comment on that as I run pfsense in a vm on my always on server. I too have multiple vlans for IOT things, dahua cctv network (running on a blue iris vm) and rest of network.
Iā€™m also on the hunt for another 24 port switch as my current 24 port is just about full! Hard-wired everything possible!

And here is a big fear of mine. While Iā€™m in the knows enough to be dangerous group and could likely make all this workā€¦ then I wonā€™t think about it again for six months, something will break or Iā€™ll want to change things and not remember what in the hell I did in the first place. :thinking:

I have a Reolink NVR with Reolink cameras. I actually donā€™t mind it because it runs on itā€™s own internal network with POE to the cameras so no issues with bandwidth being consumed on a VLAN and has the additional security layer, doesnā€™t consume precious network ports on my more expensive Unifi switch and you can access from Nodered via a few APIā€™s.

FYI I donā€™t have the newer Reolink NVR or cameras that support person and vehicle detection instead I do that with a mixture of outdoor PIR motion sensors (i designed a face shield here), Reolink cameras via API and Google Cloud Vision AI. Itā€™s surprising reliable tooā€¦ I actually did it in the beginning just to mess around but it just works too darn well.

2 Likes

thatā€™s what I thought for a while too, but itā€™s not like that at all. Itā€™s not over complicated. Thatā€™s what I like about it. I have wyze and donā€™t plan on changing anytime soon as crime is not high in my area of 800 residents, but Iā€™m definitely happy with my Unifi. If you want we can discuss what I do with mine in the ā€œknows enough to be dangerousā€ category and you can draw a conclusion. PM me.