What's the First Thing You Will Setup in Core?

Simple proposition… For me, based on my recent post, notifications are likely to be the thing I will tackle first… seem to be the easiest thing to look at integrating with the rest of my setup without any major disruption. Not that I won’t be testing connections to physical devices… or other features…

The first thing for me is to try and integrate my LightwaveRF products.
I have them working in HE so why not CORE.
It will involve defining user devices and loading the user drivers. (If I can figure out how to do it).
Then try and figure out all this ‘node-red’ malarkey. :wink:
A good test for me to start things rolling.

3 Likes

I know, using a common language / platform, seems silly to me too… :wink: I guess we’ll just have to accept the benefits of the efforts of others as we embrace the future :slight_smile: Not to mention the temptation of Core’s own logic engine.

3 Likes

As a semi power user of node red, other than writing code myself, it has been the easiest automation methodology.
There is a learning curve, but not near as bad as other generalized automation methods.

As to the op, I will start simple with some easy motion lights and notifications.

4 Likes

I’m sure I’ll get into node-red.
Sorry for the swearing but I still love webCoRE.
It was a while ago when I first started using it (pre HE days) so I cannot remember if I had issues getting my head round it to start with. I probably did.

Just to elaborate on LightwaveRF, I access the LWRF hub (then the devices) via an RPi using the LWRF’s IP address. This should make it easy for me to disable my HE devices and enable them through CORE. I have some spare sensors so in a way I can run the HE and CORE hubs in parallel and just enable/disable devices while doing testing.
Looking forward to it.

2 Likes

It’s been 3 years since I set up HE, with no previous automation experience, so I’m not entirely sure but I’ll say that getting into NR had less “learning curve” than did HE and it’s way more useful. With maybe 2 exceptions, NR has rendered my HE nothing more than a radio server.

4 Likes

I’ve never looked into it so I might be blowing smoke here but I’m not sure you can’t use it with CORE. I believe that doing so will only delay the inevitable, however.

2 Likes

Ditto! Except my custom apps. I’m too lazy to NR those.

2 Likes

I intend to put the zwave stuff through the paces. Core is going to help me decide if I continue using my zwave stuff or stick it in a drawer somewhere and buy new locks.

Get it controlling my lutron and hue stuff.

Then slowly work on transferring zigbee. In the meantime I have a box full of stuff I can test and play with there as I have been waiting on a move for what now seems forever and I keep buying toys…

2 Likes

I’ve been doing this with NR since I got the Lutron gear over a year ago. Rock solid and HE nowhere in the picture. Mind you I have only Picos.

1 Like

Not really sure what is my first setup yet since I know so little about this magic CORE box. Most likely NR since most of my switches are Lutron Caseta and Phillips Hue bulbs.
Here hoping the new CORE rule engine is something similar to Webcore and nothing like Rule Machine.

1 Like

Mmmm … definitely not rule machine and more than webcore.

Probably the first thing I will setup is my Z-Wave network since it only consists of repeaters and 2 end points, an August Pro Lock and a outdoor smart outlet. That lock is horrible on HE so I am hoping for better luck on core.

Regarding my repeaters though, they are all either Iris 3210-L or 3210-L2’s, does anyone know if I can have the Z-Wave part on core and keep the ZigBee part on HE? Migrating all of the ZigBee parts over to core is basically my entire network so I would have to do a full migration which I want to avoid for now.

1 Like

I would say sure… and then tie it all together within Node-RED. I’m doing more or less something similar today already, just for some unsupported devices to be available in HE such as for instance the Roborock vacuum and the Sonoff Micro USB’s.

No I more mean the Z-Wave part of the Iris 3210 plugs (which are ZigBee plugs and Z-Wave repeaters in a single brick). I am just not sure if I can exclude and then pair back to core without factory resetting the ZigBee side and forcing me to pair ZigBee all over again.

Oh, I was not aware of that the device had both protocols included! If I’m understanding the manual correctly, it needs to be in factory default state before you can add it to a new Z-Wave and that would also reset the Zigbee.

http://manuals-backend.z-wave.info/make.php?lang=en&sku=3210-L&cert=ZC10-16040001

1 Like

You can definitely do that. I have all the z-wave of the switch on one of my HE hub and the ZigBee on another hub. Excluded the z-wave a few times without affecting my ZigBee side as well.
I find the z-wave repeaters for 3210-L are not that reliable for me. I have at least 8 of these plugs.

2 Likes

i have several of these. in my experience they can be very challenging to get the zwave side to pair.

yeah I have 20 of them and have gotten the pairing down by now. You kinda have to spam the button until it works (I think it is 10 presses in less than 3 or 5 seconds). I would have to look back on the HE forums for the instructions I used.

i have one that absolutely refused last time, no matter what procedure I used.

There is supposedly a ZigBee command to start zwave pairing…

1 Like