Update Indicator dot

Continuing the discussion from Release: SYS|Dash:

@roberto not sure I agree that it’s a transient indicator, for example, I don’t update my Esphome container unless I need a new feature or something such. It could stay with an indicator dot for months… Same probably goes for various other containers for other people.
At the top corners there’s not much space. Bottom left corner has some other future use. Why do you think adding a 4th indicator dot would be a bad thing?

1 Like

As someone who hasn’t followed the conversation closely, and plans to install the latest goodies tomorrow… I will add that any status info like info about updates is welcome by me… Especially if it can include a link to download and apply that update.

If the “official” position is to not provide this… :frowning: If that is incorrect or temporary :slight_smile: If I am wrong and we can see this and report it in things like Grafana :grinning:

1 Like

The discussion here is not IF it is to be provided, it’s about where on the tile. It WILL be provided, with a nice Update button to click on.
It’s not there yet, but it will be, there’s some things to sort-out first though, like how to best keep the indication of available updates up-to-date with minimal Internet traffic.

1 Like

Sounds great!!

:grinning:

Ilt s mainly a question of taste. Too many omogeneous contiguous dots may confuse. I perceive “new version available” more as a notification than a real status. But it is not really crucial for me.

Ok, that’s a valid point, the thinking with these dots were mostly that if anything is red things are not running as they should or it is an integration that is turned off if they are all red. Updates available would be indicated with orange and no pending updates would be green. If the integration is disabled the update indicator dot would also be red. For details you click the indicator dots and have the buttons in different colors and would descriptive text.

This is the thinking, if this is something which isn’t clear or someone has a better idea on how to solve I’d love to hear it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Everything green from my POV…

Everything maybe red or maybe green from my color-blind POV :slight_smile:

That is a very good point, and we will have a setting to remedy that. The colors that we intend to use are black (=red), yellow(=green) and blue(=orange).

2 Likes

My apologies on this point. In my every day job I make sure that ADA is considered. I’ve dropped the ball in keeping track of this. If something is ever difficult to read due to this, please bring it to my attention and we will make every effort to accommodate.

1 Like

Like traffic lights, I expect position along with colour being important can cancel out the colour element? As someone who does not personally deal with that issue…

I have a family member that is red/green color blind and he actually prefers alternate colors as it’s difficult to remember position of things or things (Like CORE) can’t be immediately universal. The best universal thing to do in this case is to actually provide a color blind mode using the standardized colors.

1 Like

Whatever makes sense… Glad to see it is a consideration in Core.

1 Like

Because smart home automation could make it possible for someone living with a disability to have independence, it was never not a consideration. Color modes were merely an oversight.

Which, by the way is fixed. Run update.
There were other fixes with this push.
Since I can see all colors, please let me know if there is anything still difficult to differentiate and we’ll work through that tomorrow.

1 Like

Color mode is saved within the session cookie. This will be a per browser setting. It’s located in the upper right hand tool cog with light/dark mode.

2 Likes