Power blip ruined my uptime

I’m now on the bottom as I rebooted the hub.
After the reboot grafana does not keep data any more.

EDIT ops! I had to restart influxdb

1 Like

Did everyone go soft while I was away? How is it possible that I have the highest uptime in the thread!

I must say, other than some truly sad Z-Wave devices that I have now disposed of, and Zigbee devices eating batteries, everything just works. This is by far the most solid and reliable home automation platform that I have every used. I have over 80 active Zigbee devices, 16 Z-Wave devices and about 20 assorted wifi devices (Tasmota, ESPHome, WLed etc) all coordinated with Node-red and everything just works.

I went away for 7 weeks and other than a light switch which dropped off Zigbee (which is a problem with the switch, not Core) and a few sensors that went flat, the automations were just as quick and reliable when I got home.

5 Likes

Haha, yeah, you just described the two most annoying things these days:

1. Batteries in general
  2. Devices with funky firmware
    Everything else runs rock solid :slight_smile:

I avoid battery based devices like the plague.

I have only 1 in my setup: a Sonoff SNZB-04 Wireless Door-Window Sensor

To try to set it and forget it, I have modified it myself to use a rechargeable li-ion battery that is way bigger than the sensor itself.

It’s location (to monitor the garage gate) allows for such liberties, and my significant other doesn’t care about it ruining the decor.

Unfortunately, a lot of the convenience automations that I use rely on motion sensors and they almost always are battery powered, as well as being in locations where it is very hard to get power. I have a couple of Aeotec Smartsensor 6, which are on mains power, but these are actually pretty expensive. Another thing which I have recently started using with some success is a rechargeable battery-powered wifi motion sensor, the Shelly Motion 2. I installed one in a high traffic area (kitchen) 6 months ago and have not needed to charge it yet, so it is obviously doing pretty well. Writing this post actually inspired me to check the battery level and it is 99%, which seems impossible. I will check it again in a few months. I guess that I did set it for reasonably power efficient use and don’t use the web interface much. Mostly it just sends MQTT messages to Core.

I have definitely been tempted to re-power sensors with 18650s, which I have lots of in holders that have USB charging for electronics projects.

My current utility is the absolute WORST. At least half a dozen major outages per year (longer than one hour), and countless hiccups. I’m looking forward to my kids graduating and moving out so I can ditch this house and move somewhere (anywhere) else.

1 Like

Back from a couple weeks vacation. Came home to influxdb off line. Crazy, but everything was running fine. I was getting all notifications.

Disaster! I was doing some electrical work in my house on the circuit that my servers and home automation gear is on, and it appears that the batteries in my UPS are dead because the power to all my gear switched off before I could finish the new power point installation. As a result, my 36.2 week uptime has now been reset to 0.

Interestingly, while everything worked when the system came back up, I had to manually restart a bunch of services like Node-red and Zigbee2Mqtt and which were showing as “offline” in their respective web UIs. This is especially odd since all my automations were working perfectly.

There is a bit of a glitch on that. There are podman issues that are causing this. Podman re-downloads the containers even though it’s set not to. We are actively looking to update to podman 4.
Sorry about losing that uptime. But at least you know it’s possible. It’s not the end of the world. Even the best systems need to be refreshed from time to time.

1 Like

Almost 10 months. No cheating. My home environment.

2 Likes

PLEASE tell me that one of you is approaching 52 weeks? What a milestone that would be!

Sorry, had to restart mine after moving my core near a stubborn device for discovery.