Other Platforms

As there’s no CC (yet)…

What other platforms or systems are people using or developing for? Systems I develop for currently are RTI and ISY/Polyglot. I used to develop for HomeSeer but that’s in the past.

2 Likes

…quiet… I guess most are Hubitat, SmartThings, Wink people?

All my devices are in hubitat so I’ve done all of my development there. But to get certain integrations working I’ve had to mess with some other systems, so I’ve had mess with python, node, js. Even wrote a small alexa skill to integrated it the way I wanted.

I’ve worked hard to try and integrate everything under hubitat alone. It took a while.

1 Like

I use Hubitat as a my primary home automation platform. But lately, I’ve been doing more and more in Node-Red as I find it more flexible and, quite frankly, more fun! So Hubitat has kinda become a device handler for me and most automations have been moved to Node-Red.

I wouldn’t necessarily consider myself a developer. I’ve done quite a bit of development in the past (mostly system automation/administration in a large data center for Windows, Linux, and VMWare). But that was a lifetime ago. Today I just play with functions in Node-Red and tweak a bit of Groovy code here and there to do what I need.

1 Like

My home automation system relies on lots of platforms
–Hubitat {3 hubs connected using new Hub Mesh}
–Raspberry Pi (4) for Node Red, Wyze Sense devices, Home Assistant & Alarmdecoder
–Lutron Caseta Pro Bridge for Picos only
–Tasmotized Sonoff Bridge for 433 MHz RF devices
–Broadlink RM Pro
–Harmony Hub
–Tasker on Android device
–Alexa (6 devices)
–Google Mini (1)
–Bond hub for ceiling fans

I’ve found Node Red is essential to easily get all of these systems to work cohesively. My ST hub was retired 3 months ago.

NR is the closest thing I do to developing.

2 Likes

Ahhh… good point. I do leverage other devices that aren’t tied into Hubitat. I have a Ubiquiti network that manages presence (through NR), a handful of Wyze cameras with more on the way (I know, their integrations suck, but a $20 cam with a starlight sensor… are you kidding me?!) and I’ve preordered their sprinkler controller, Nest Home speakers (minis and the new Nest Speaker), Emerson Sensi thermostat x 2, MyQ garage door opener (which actually works decently well with the Hubitat driver)… and I’m sure I’m forgetting some others.

So I guess you could say I’m not a purist. I like all kinds of devices, I just wish they could all integrate better.

I’ve mostly avoided IP devices. The question bouncing in my head is, how many wifi devices is too many? I know the answer depends on your home network (which is why I run Ubiquiti… I average over 35 wifi devices at any given time of the day and that number keeps growing). But when I discovered MQTT and then Node Red… I was hooked. If everything simply spoke MQTT, integration and automation would be a breeze. And yeah, that means now I’m digging into the world of Tasmota. Still wondering where the breaking point is for number of wifi devices.

1 Like

So true… so true.

All depends on the AP (Access Point) in use. If you’re all Unifi gear they should handle several hundred on each AP. I don’t remember the number off hand but it’s in their product documentation.

Hmmm… It’s going to take a bit of documenting to post all of my junk :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I use mostly HE and NR these days, but have a few others.

3x HE hub mesh (C4 ZigBee no ZW stick, C7 Z-Wave, C5 Integrations/App)
1x Lutron Radio RA2 Main repeater
1x Headless Mac Mini (running Node-Red)
3x Echo dot for VC
1x Unifi network w/POE w/Mesh
1x REO Link PTZ POE Camera

Been tempted lately to try HA. Holding off for see what OLL produces.

1 Like

You guys really gonna make me list out my stuff :slight_smile:

2 Likes

OMGOSH! I just moved to the DreamMachine myself. Powerful little piece of equipment. I’ve only the built in AP so far and have great signal. On Unifi, you could just add more AP’s and things will just run until they start colliding. I, too, am hooked on unifi and wyze. I’ve just moved them to a vlan and wireless of their own and they’re rock solid. I’m on board with that. I’m planning on isolating them from the internet and running motioneye or something with vpn to access from the outside world. I do this with all of my home automations. Then things are on my time and only in my world.

I’ve given up on trying to keep it all straight. Node red does that for me.

1 Like

Yeah I run Node-RED. I use it to receive events from Traccar for my GPS units.

I’d be interested in hearing about it. I’m using life360 currently and the unifi integration. it works well, but it’s not a quick as I’d like for it to be. I’ve been experimenting with tasker, but haven’t mastered it yet.

A year or so ago we released Simplex Locate as a commercial service offering… apparently it was too expensive for most users… as it wasn’t FREE. So I folded it up. I did keep the design but changed out the software back end.

What’s left now is a self managed Traccar instance running on EC2 collecting GPS data from the units in my vehicles. I have a script that processes the enter/exit data and geofence association and then forwards that to Node-RED which is listening via a WebHookRelay tunnel. No port forwarding needed this way. Node-RED then triggers a enter/exit to my RTI system to open/close the garage door based on some other rules.

My GPS units have 5 second updates with 8 meter (stated) resolution. I’m now faced with an issue of needing to upgrade my GPS units as AT&T are retiring their 3G network soon… which leaves me in a pinch as the 4G/LTE trackers are available but the 5G are not yet… being on the cusp of 5G I’m hoping I can hold out and just jump to those.

3 Likes

Neat. Sounds pretty solid. So you use a paid tracking system through cellular then?

1 Like

I pay for the cell access for my trackers and I pay for the AWS EC2 instance. That’s all I pay for.

I’m currently using Things Mobile and it costs me about $20 every 6 months or so. The AWS instance costs me about $10 a month but i use it for other things too.

3 Likes