Node red and life360

Good to hear its coming along!!
I haven’t had a chance yet to test Life360. As I’ve been having pretty a good run with Tasker/Autolocation, so haven’t looked elsewhere yet…
But i’m still keen to hear how things progress for you!!

Are you using a Pixel phone by any chance?
My wife is, and anytime she restarts her phone (and sometimes randomly) the device will automatically revert to using random mac address - AFAIK, there is no way to make the device mac the default!!
I don’t get this issue with my Note8!!

Hm… no. I have a note 10 and I haven’t experienced that yet. I’m curious how you use tasker for presence? And what else you use it for.

I have tasker installed with autolocation (side app by tasker)
I set my geolocation in autolocation app, which tasker will get the msg from. Then in tasker I have it turn on/off virtual switch with maker API endpoint.
I have a small (40m) location radius set and every so often my phone gps will have me as being 2 houses away when in inside my house! So can give a false location reading. Need to look at how I can improve my phone gps!

1 Like

I’ve had one successful day o f leaving and returning and modes and presence worked as I had intended it. I’m optimistic that it’ll continue, but I’ll give it some more time before I draw a conclusion. Right now, I’m using ARP scan and life 360, both through node red to determine this.

2 Likes

I am pretty sure this is a Android 10+ feature, I think iOS has something similar now as well.

2 Likes

Yes, you can control each network connection to either give a fake or a real mac. The only one I care about having a real mac is my home network. everything else can be spoofed. that’s what I did on my note 10+

1 Like

Do you have Tasker? It’s really easy to setup to do things when you enter/leave geofences. I bet it can do almost everything Life360 can do but nowhere near as polished. I just installed Life360 and Node Red palette to see how it does.

Well, I ditched geofencing in 360 because it never reported me at home. It stops reporting when you get inside of the geofence, so that being said, I have about 20 surrounding addresses punched into a node for “floating”. Which happens all the time. Woke me up last night saying i wasn’t home. It’s partially because this town is not laid out right and google is trying to fit all the addresses in that don’t exist and never will. I should get after them and to get them corrected. I’d like to hear about tasker a bit more sometime. I haven’t taken the time to learn it, only loaded it in my phone and that’s as far as I got with it.

If you are willing to go down a new Rabbit Hole, Tasker is it. Add the companion Join to it at is even more powerful. In Tasker, you can set up Geocircles then have it do things based on going into or leaving. I use one around home to control presence there and use leaving one around work to text my wife I am heading home. I use Join for all of my notifications on Node Red because you can add text, titles, image URLs, action items, etc. Using Join & NR, if a motion sensor goes active it sends a push notification to a wall tablet. Tasker on that tablet reacts to that specific push by waking up screen and refreshing Firefox browser so the dashboard is up to date when I went to use it.

I also have Tasker react to notifications from Wyze cameras, Amcrest cameras, and Eufy Doorbell to send HTTP Request to HE to change state of virtual motion sensors. You can do with any device that doesn’t have HE support.

Then there is my favorite which is automatically sending a call from someone not in my phonebook or from 3 area codes in DFW straight to voicemail.

Do you use autolo autolocation for your Geofence? Or directly in tasker?

I have Geofence running in autolcation which triggers a task in tasker.

I don’t use Autolocation… Yet.