Inovelli March 2021 Update

for me it’s that one, but this is a great point.

Some (most) of my z-wave frustration were not present in Vera or ST, take that for what you feel it’s worth. Even the wife commented while I yanked my Yale lock “We never had trouble with that at ZYX house” :thinking:

2 Likes

I wasn’t with ST long enough to really compare, but I’ve heard people say that about other systems after moving to their current system and always wondered why that was.

I pointed my sensors further out so a room had about 3 seconds to turn on a light so that it was coming on when I entered the room with ST. When I moved to HE, I had to readjust things to work real time. I even have z-wave motion sensors and contact sensors that are spot on. I haven’t changed batteries in them for over 3 years. My biggest complaint is locks. I do like my z-wave motion and contact sensors for battery life. And they don’t fall off the network like my zigbee sensors do from time to time (Iris). But, I will be phasing out Z-wave as I move forward. Although, I’ve implemented 3 aeotec 6 repeaters and it’s surprising how much actually runs through them on the way to the hub. My locks love them. Very few of my devices hop directly to the hubs anymore. Even though every device I own is within 15 feet of the hub, I’d say that 75% including my locks hop somewhere else in the house to use a repeater. (I’m lucky I can have my HE/CC/ST/Wi-Fi in the dead center of my home) Z-Wave repeaters at either end of the upper and one in the network closet by the hubs in the lower. I’m hoping that Alfred will come out with a zigbee protocol for their locks since their modules are interchangeable. One can only hope, right? I’ll eventually replace my Schlage, but I kind’ve like it and I think I use it out of spite because so many have failed at getting them to work reliably. But I’ve been told in the past that I have no idea what I’m talking about with the locks. Although mine are rock solid and battery conscious. So in doing my research on this, I’ve done at least one thing right.

In summary, I’ve considered moving my switches to shelly. I have an open attic and open ceiling in the basement, so adding a single gang box for a relay seems easy. If we move, I can leave them and the next homeowner will have options. Use them or not. Their choice. The nice thing about that is you don’t have to crowd things into a switch box. You can simply insert them wherever you have room in a line. That’s flexibility.

So glad you finally saw the light :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Just pulling your leg ok :grin:

To be clear. My locks still work flawlessly.