How are people organising their flows in Node-RED?

Question is in the title really.

I have a few flows which are special, such as Mode management, and some dashboard activity, but the majority of my flows are one tab per room or closely associated space. This allows me to use common flow variable naming to denote occupancy, override and other control inputs. For each room I tend to have one or more primary control flows that do not contain any devices. Link in and out nodes are used to interact with any devices needed for that room’s flows. This works out to about 20 flows total, and makes it very easy to find the appropriate flow where a given device is used, as well as making each flow fairly manageable in size.

I do need to possibly start using subflows, and I am sure that this will create a whole new round of streamlining, since there is a certain similarity to many of the flows that I have built. “Lighting control of multiple devices triggered by occupancy and override buttons where behaviour of each device varies by global mode”.

What are other people doing?

I have one tab where I put all of my globals. Everything originates from that place. I use link in nodes around the rest of my flows so that one device triggers, it might translate into several different flows around Node-RED

Then, I organize the rest of my tabs according to floor or protocols like voice assistant notifications or camera stuff. I think my tabs are visible. Locks. I have my office separate for testing things.

1 Like

I started off doing it by room. But as I have made and added more devices and automated more things I have ended up with a bit of a mix. Simple things like motion lighting, single room notifications and contact sensors are done per room. Notifications, VLC Control, Weather Station, are their own tab. and then other things are sprinkled throughout like variables.

Its all down to personal preference/what works best for you.