ESPhome projects

Hello together,

After seeing MQTT and ESPhome in the coffe breaks I dug out my two ESP32 boards and flashed them with ESPhome. Now my question, what are you using it for?

So far I tried an iBeacon in combination with OwnTracks and MQTT for presence. Also I got readings from my BLE scale and thermometers. Pretty great…

1 Like

Ah kay …
I have just a few projects going on with esphome.
All of my LED lights use and ESP8266. They’re blazing fast. If you were at the coffee, then you might have seen the walkthrough. Love lighting.
I also have the bed sensors on an esp32 for presence.
Pressure mat in my office to control my soldering station so I don’t forget to turn it off when I leave. Also keeps my office lights on when I’m standing there.
Have a car presence sensor for the garage using an esp32. Just another check to make sure cars are put away at night. And garage door control. But I haven’t honed this project in as it was cold out there until recently.

I can’t get enough of ESPhome.

2 Likes

So you’ve dropped all the branded LED strip controllers? And ESPHome has all the same functionality of the branded controllers? Inquiring minds want to know!

1 Like

Yes. I use my old lightify strips for my counter using an 8266 controller instead of the lightify controller. The functionality is the same without the annoyance of them trying to poorly repeat. I can still do the same things with the lights through straight mqtt instead of through z2m. There’s a learning curve of about 5 minutes to understand the syntax and you’re off and running. All of my indoor led’s run on esphome except for my outdoor ones, which I will probably swap out this summer.

[EDIT]
And I do it because I can flash the controllers in my jig. It’s my form of Saturday night entertainment.

I think what’s lost is that esphome can customize things that run directly on the board. My bed sensor does all of the math on the board and sends on/off into CORE. These boards can take the processing load off of your main controller and do the work before sending it on to be automated. I never fully understood this until CORE came to be and we started integrating these technologies. Once you understand it, you find that the possibilities are endless. My only downfall is that I need to take some time to learn how the powering of these things go. The controllers I have, I flashed. I didn’t build. The bed sensors and pressure mat are on a breadboard for the time being.

2 Likes

How does ESPHome compare to tasmota? I see they both now support ESP8266 and ESP32. Also does CORE plan on having official support for both?

Just from my experience I tried Tasmota a few month back and found it clunky and even the easierst turning on/off led was not working well on my ESP32 when using more than one.
ESPHome works amazing. Pretty impressed by it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Nice! What kind of power supply are you using for the LED strips? Any other recommendations?
I am trying to use some WS2811 5V with it.

2 Likes

I can check when I get home. Were you referring to the LED or bed sensor?

I also found tasmota clunky and difficult to understand. It’s significantly slower in my experience as well. I set up my LED strips with it first and failed miserably as it’s not very user friendly for my thought process.

2 Likes

The LEDs :slight_smile:

I’m using the LEDEnet 5 channel controller, and I used these power sources to power them. They’ve worked well. I’ve had a hard time finding them lately. Probably the shortage.
LEDMO Power Supply, Transformers,LED Adapter, 12V, 5A Max, 60 Watt Max, for LED Strip - - Amazon.com
I bought some barrel connectors as well so that I didn’t have to cut the barrel connector off of the power source. In case I repurpose them.

Amazon.com: DC Power Cable 12V 5A Plugs Male Female Connectors for CCTV Security Camera Pigtail Power Adapter Connectors (5.5mm x 2.1mm, 10 Pairs) : Electronics

I also used these same connectors with my pressure mat.

2 Likes