CORE on wifi?

Ok inwill take a look at this. To confirm before i go too deep this will work without being able tonforward any ports?

No you will need to forward a port to CORE.

Yeah thos makes it a non starter. In tmobiles infinite wisdom they neutered pretty much all useful function in their gateway/router. Seeing as its the best i can get atm im trying to work around theirnshortcomings.

That’s going to be a tough one if they’re blocking everything in.

Not blocking. Its hot something to do with cgnat? And multiple customers shari.g an ip address. I dont claim to completely understand other than it means they removed any yseful functions from the router.

This is why i started down the tailscale path. It seems to work with no port forwarding.

Maybe ill get brave and try getting it up and running on core. Either that or ill fiddle with it until i mamage to brick the core! Lol

I’ll discuss with @Markus tonight and get some recommendations from him. Can you hold off until at least then?

1 Like

Oh yes. Im currently at work. 12 hour days doesnt leave much time to play with my stuff. So no rush and this is really a be nice to have thing rather than a real need.

Tailscale is working ok on my windows pc whichbgives access to my network. Ibjust want the home assistant app to work away from home without a subscription.

If you are on your network, you should be able to access HA no? Are any other network devices available when using it? CORE sys UI, maybe a printer UI, or home receiver with a web server?

1 Like

Yup once i connect to my windows pc everything on the network is available. The home assistant app just brings cool functionality to core like android auto and wear os support.

Stuff that i always love to make work but rarely actually ever use… you know…

Funny enough injust wa

oh so you are trying to get the HA app to work without having to be constantly connected to tailscale on your phone?

I am no expert, but you might be able to tunnel just the HA app to tailscale and the rest are on the normal cellular network.

Well I am trying to get the HA app to work when away from home. I dont mind running tailscale where needed. Which I think is on the CORE from what I can tell.

It should not matter where you are running tailscale, as long as it is on the network where everything else is. Take my PiVPN instance: that is hosted on a raspberry pi that is on the same network as CORE, so when I go into that VPN is like I am on the network with CORE directly. Same should be the same for tailscale regardless of it is hosted directly on the CORE or on your windows machine.

1 Like

you are more than likely correct. I just do not know how to get the traffic to core. lol maybe im in over my head.

Maybe @april.brandt or @RRodman can advise on the best way to connect to the HA app if it cannot auto detect (which most likely will fail if VPN is connected). I assume it is just the hostname/ip of CORE + whatever port HA is on.

1 Like

Im not sure tailscale works like most vpns. Since i cant forward ports i assume it is doing stuff differently. Pretty much have to have tailscale on all the devices i want to have direct connection to. It provides me an ip for each device. Which is why i thought the answer would be to get it running on core.

I think i may set core aside and get home assistant running on my pi and use it to experiment with tailscale. At least with that i have no fear of really messing something up because a reimage is easy.

No with tailscale you use the exit node feature and that routes traffic through ANY device on your network with tailscale to ANY other local network device.

Tailscale on your PC can be used to access your core remotely without port forwarding or installing it on the core itself

Sorry it took me so long to get back on this… TOTK leaked a few days ago :rofl:

Again you guys are likely correct and i just dont know what im doing.

No amount of googling and fiddling has been able to make the remote connection with the home assistant app.

Ill keep playing in my spare time but wont hold my breath.

you need to connect tailscale as a subnet router from your main pc once to get the subnets entered. Details on doing that can be found here: Subnet routers and traffic relay nodes · Tailscale

after getting your subnets added follow this for setting up the exit node: Exit Nodes (route all traffic) · Tailscale

Then on your phone you have the tailscale install connect to your local computer using it as the exit node.

Once you have done that everything on your phone will route through your computer, allowing HA etc to work anywhere :slight_smile:

1 Like

thanks for sticking with me @RRodman

I had tried both of these separately but not at the same time. flipped the exit node on and like magic it worked.

Much appreciate your time.

1 Like

I’m just sorry I was off in Zelda land the last several days and didn’t give you the info sooner!

2 Likes