Wish List For Automation Hub

You can’t just DROP that and not explain. Do tell.

Great idea mate, but it’s gone midnight here now lol.
But tomorrow is another day and it’s nearly the weekend. Yippee!

This forum seems somehow kinda connected to the other… a bit like hubconnect, or is it hublink… :joy:

2 Likes

What’s that? Being retired almost 11 years the term is rather foggy to me. So, while you have your beach and warm weather, I have nothing but Fridays.
:grin:

Cheers!

2 Likes

Wow… just found out about all this today. I’m a little shocked but here’s some things… I throw in some stuff that was constantly a big thing from some other forums. Not necessarily my items but I’m just trying to get ahead of all the threads that will start demanding some of these thigns. lol

• reliability should be #1. This is going to be tuff, there are so many bad devices.
  • Phone app!!! (push notifications and presence)
  • Secure everything (if you aren’t using https you are going to hear about it)
  • Dashboards
  • Full remote access for management
  • Full backup and restore (code and devices).
  • Sorting devices by rooms (this is something I wished for personal organization)
  • Integrated lan presence to compliment any geolocation. Either with ping or arping (which I currently do in a separate docker).

Really looking forward to what is being worked on.

7 Likes

Yup. It would have been nice if @stephack’s virtual containers for Hubitat could be used for real and virtual devices.

4 Likes

I like to add this to the list as well.

7 Likes

I TOTALLY WANT THIS!
Maybe if I whine a bit, they’ll accommodate me? If I get this, will someone write some apps for it?
:rofl:

I think we’ll be handling this smartly. :grin:

This is a priority

2 Likes

Being able to place into multiple categories e.g. rooms , floors, areas, functionality, related devices, device type and create views or filters of some kind based on that would be so flexible.

3 Likes

Something I missed from Homey when I switch to HE (probably the only thing) was to be able to send notification with questions (buttons with text) to my phone and depending on my answer the Flow/rule executed differently, like an IF…
Hope you understand my complicated explanation for a simple wish. I cant even understand it myself…

10 Likes

Your explanation is very clear. I can see how that would be a useful feature.

3 Likes

Makes sense to me as well, and I think it is a great idea. Basically, a user prompt with buttons like “Yes and No” or “OK and Cancel”, etc… I can see how that would be very useful.

3 Likes

Don’t do this. Unless there’s an option to disable it

1 Like

I’d also add: and unless there’s ROCK SOLID security and authentication.

Note: Remote management CAN typically be accomplished with most things if you can use, say, an ASUS or other router that has an OpenVPN server built in. You set up the VPN keys (a bit of a hassle, esp. set the expiration date for the CRL to way over 30 days if you use it), then set up a Dynamic DNS type account so you can always have your IP address available. Then, you can connect from your phone/laptop/etc. directly into your network (but, it requires that you have certs for “cert based authentication” on your remote devices). Once there, your system thinks it’s on your 'home" network.

2 Likes

If you use Node Red and Telegram, you can do this!!!

But having it built in would go good!

2 Likes

That’s exactly how it works with Homey and I had much use for it. :+1:

2 Likes

The option to disable is a must, but most of my list was taken from another forum where over the course of years threads were opened, debated, closed and then opened again almost on a weekly basis for these features.

Phone app vs web shortcut, http vs https, remote control vs remote access and more. Made for some interesting reading. lol

1 Like

Phone App - These, so often, are often little more than web apps under an icon (although that can show!). However, something about that–it’s probably an easier way to design/develop the app and web GUI. Plus, it makes it work in a browser with a similar look-and-feel.

Https vs. http

Well, it would be great if it at least COULD support HTTPS (including dropping user-generated certs in place). When accessed remotely, it is likely to be a tricky thing if some “cloud service” is in the middle of the conversation. For sure, that entire “over the internet” path MUST be strongly encrypted–but, it could be rough figuring out how to know whether or not to “trust” the hub from that cloud service if keys change etc.

Locally, for many users, if you access the hub on an internal network, HTTPS is rough (the browsers throw scary errors/warnings because you aren’t browsing to a site that has been fully set up for it (nobody’s direct IP links are).

1 Like

A number of people in this forum were in that other forum so will know exactly what I’m talking about. These things have been debated over and over again there until the demands were met. And in the end they still weren’t that happy. For some reason people just want an app and security guys had to have HTTPS. It really got heated.

Eventually similar users will end up here and they will demand it as well. Just trying to get ahead of it … lol

1 Like

Security is an important thing and deserves attention from the very beginning of the design phase (as it’s SO much more expensive to “do right” after then).

A lot of people hear some words and think they are magical–but the design ‘behind the covers’ is what really counts.

You can bring up an “HTTPS” connection–but, done wrong, it might not be so effective.

The same goes for authentication and other security measures. You can develop “window dressing” approaches, that look difficult-to-break and secure. BUT, they might have serious flaws that can be bypassed as easily as subbing out a URL path.

Additionally, if there are built in “back doors” that allow the support organization wide-open access to your device, these can be a mess. At best, they can create a risk for exposure if the “trick” for getting in manages to become discovered. And, they can allow access to things you’d never want. And, it’s nearly impossible to ever know whether or not this is the case.

Even if the “mother ship” can’t connect directly to a gizmo on their own, chances are the gizmo is reaching out to the mother ship for updates, etc. And, that process can be leveraged to install things, update code, and gain access.

Plus, all those paths can be abused by malicious actors.

Thus–the extreme importance of solid, secure design from the get-go. Transparency and open-source try to aid in helping ensure good security. It’s a lot harder to hide poor/insecure code if the world can see it. And, when it can, others can jump in to help lock things down. But, alas, that’s not always a viable business model.

Note: I’m NOT in ANY WAY trying to smear any particular product with these comments. These are just GENERAL comments that apply to application development and security for any type of internet-connected device.

3 Likes