Rob's Node-Red Template and Example Flow Thread!

Yeah, that’s the rub with NR huh, each set of “hub nodes” acts completely differently.

HE, HA, Z2M nodes they all take getting the hang of, AFTER you understand NR. Learning them all at once should be extra fun.

EDIT: and why did they remove the moving “data dot” in NR. That was very useful to me. Now it’s harder to spot where things are failing, or whatever.

I assume this is why they went with MQTT for everything, because if you can make a somewhat standard interface, then most things will follow the same format in your logic. Now time will tell if there are differences in how various companies implement MQTT, but at least from the Z* side it should be decently standard right? :worried:

Data dot? I think they created a full breakpoint system so you can go node by node debugging.

Oh you mean like denoting what node is currently running with the little dot? If they removed that, yeah that is very strange, I always use that to make sure the path is right.

Just like the “USB” was the end. How many times has that changed since inception?

In my world “the only thing that stays the same, is nothing stays the same.”

standards are fairly usless when your always inventing better/faster mouse traps.

Yeah NR use to have a dot that moved thru the sequence, and stopped when logic failed. Now you have use 15 debug nodes (guess that’s why they are numbered now)

2 Likes

I’ve read references to the moving dot but I have never seen it (2 years+) and always wondered why not. :man_shrugging:

They removed it about the same time they added a number to the delay node.

WTF do I need how many delays are queued more than WTF they are being created?!

Then I noticed the debugs are numbered. again WTF??? Just put the damn dot back!!

It showed if you had multiple “sessions” running, conflicts, all kinds of helpful shit

Actually now that I look at it, I don’t think I have ever seen it. I think what I thought it was was the HE nodes turning from green to blue as they get triggered down the line.

1 Like

Wooo! That plus the delay node turning “off” must have been it. Our eyes just filled in the blanks. Once the delayed nodes stayed blue the gig was up!

:exploding_head:

1 Like

Hello

apologies for asking here, but I did not want to start a new thread for my simple questions.

I am curious what type of integration with Hue lights is available in core? Is it done through Node red or is there something custom built in?

If built in could some simple setup instructions be provided? Thank you!!

@markus @april.brandt

There’s a custom integration for Hue in CORE Main, but that service is not yet released and available on CORE. The current integration would be through NR, but not sure what to recommend there, the library used for Hue in CORE Main isn’t used by any NR nodes currently maintained as far as I know. Maybe someone has a recommendation?

well that is unfortunate - I just plugged in my CORE and hoped for this to be the first thing I tried. I am not ready tonight to reacquaint myself with NR. I suppose I will fumble around in the interface for awhile and see where it leads me.

thank you

My Hue lights are connected to the Hue hub, then i use this node:
node-red-contrib-huemagic

2 Likes

I tried that one myself last night and couldn’t get it to work. Probably simple user error, I ended up using the hubitat node that I had set up before in NR

Perhaps you could post an example to help others?

When I’m back at the pc, I can certainly do that!

2 Likes

This is not working properly for me so I posted an issue about it. I suspect you have yours configured differently since it’s working for you. If you find time to test the config I’m using I’ll be interested to see if you get the same or different output than I do.

BTW which timer node do you use? When I try to cut and paste your sample codes, NR says that object does not exists in OLL default palette.

node-red-contrib-stoptimer

As the actvate is true and the deactivate is false, use the original message on activate and the latest message on inactive as shown below. I’ve been using it this way with z2m for quite some time now and it is working great using single or multiple sensors. Hope this helps.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply.

The reason I set the outputs to t/f is that I’d need a change node to remove the rest of the payload if it sends on a full message and that would remove the advantage this node has over a stop-timer as far as node count goes (I have a good number of flows where I 'd like to use this).

Do you agree that my config should send a false on the inactive channel or do I misunderstand how this node is supposed to work?

This is one of my flows which use the huemagic nodes

[{"id":"24b521959592dd71","type":"switch","z":"bc4a656e.c0d638","name":"On/Off","property":"payload","propertyType":"msg","rules":[{"t":"eq","v":"on","vt":"str"},{"t":"eq","v":"off","vt":"str"}],"checkall":"true","repair":false,"outputs":2,"x":550,"y":1000,"wires":[["60516061424b150b"],["f81be835659d8043"]]},{"id":"f81be835659d8043","type":"change","z":"bc4a656e.c0d638","name":"Turn Off","rules":[{"t":"set","p":"payload","pt":"msg","to":"false","tot":"bool"}],"action":"","property":"","from":"","to":"","reg":false,"x":680,"y":1020,"wires":[["08b7bd6742f4dbcf"]]},{"id":"60516061424b150b","type":"change","z":"bc4a656e.c0d638","name":"CT6500k, 100%","rules":[{"t":"set","p":"payload","pt":"msg","to":"{\"on\":true, \"brightness\":100, \"colorTemp\":153}","tot":"json"}],"action":"","property":"","from":"","to":"","reg":false,"x":700,"y":980,"wires":[["08b7bd6742f4dbcf"]]},{"id":"a7ae7b35fae66caa","type":"change","z":"bc4a656e.c0d638","name":"","rules":[{"t":"delete","p":"payload.on","pt":"msg"},{"t":"set","p":"payload","pt":"msg","to":"off","tot":"str"}],"action":"","property":"","from":"","to":"","reg":false,"x":315,"y":980,"wires":[["af49e5c45e270d6a"]],"l":false},{"id":"08b7bd6742f4dbcf","type":"hue-light","z":"bc4a656e.c0d638","name":"Bathroom","bridge":"7dcda340.c6ab4c","lightid":"8be8bac6-3a9f-4394-9ced-abc2f840cfa2","colornamer":true,"skipevents":false,"initevents":false,"x":880,"y":1000,"wires":[[]]},{"id":"bc11399e41963d45","type":"hue-light","z":"bc4a656e.c0d638","name":"Bathroom","bridge":"7dcda340.c6ab4c","lightid":"8be8bac6-3a9f-4394-9ced-abc2f840cfa2","colornamer":true,"skipevents":false,"initevents":false,"x":100,"y":1000,"wires":[["4fbec9522e8f01d2"]]},{"id":"af49e5c45e270d6a","type":"ui_switch","z":"bc4a656e.c0d638","name":"","label":"Bathroom","tooltip":"","group":"5c496272.8ff5cc","order":2,"width":"0","height":"0","passthru":false,"decouple":"true","topic":"","topicType":"str","style":"","onvalue":"on","onvalueType":"str","onicon":"fa-lightbulb-o fa-2x","oncolor":"green","offvalue":"off","offvalueType":"str","officon":"fa-lightbulb-o fa-2x","offcolor":"black","animate":true,"className":"","x":420,"y":1000,"wires":[["24b521959592dd71"]]},{"id":"4fbec9522e8f01d2","type":"switch","z":"bc4a656e.c0d638","name":"","property":"payload.on","propertyType":"msg","rules":[{"t":"cont","v":"false","vt":"str"},{"t":"cont","v":"true","vt":"str"}],"checkall":"true","repair":false,"outputs":2,"x":230,"y":1000,"wires":[["a7ae7b35fae66caa"],["44d255745d6cc8f7"]]},{"id":"44d255745d6cc8f7","type":"change","z":"bc4a656e.c0d638","name":"","rules":[{"t":"delete","p":"payload.on","pt":"msg"},{"t":"set","p":"payload","pt":"msg","to":"on","tot":"str"}],"action":"","property":"","from":"","to":"","reg":false,"x":315,"y":1020,"wires":[["af49e5c45e270d6a"]],"l":false},{"id":"52605d7713134ee0","type":"comment","z":"bc4a656e.c0d638","name":"Bathroom Lighting","info":"","x":110,"y":960,"wires":[]},{"id":"7dcda340.c6ab4c","type":"hue-bridge","name":"Philips hue","bridge":"192.168.20.12","key":"eJKwVfdJ1cgCdCvTV0blnPBKeFuk6Jv4qa1r0lF7","worker":"1","disableupdates":false},{"id":"5c496272.8ff5cc","type":"ui_group","name":"MasterBed Lighting Control","tab":"8a3af567.918528","order":3,"disp":true,"width":"6","collapse":false},{"id":"8a3af567.918528","type":"ui_tab","name":"Main","icon":"dashboard","order":1,"disabled":false,"hidden":false}]

I havent had any issues with the nodes that i can recall!!
Were you able to connect your hue hub to the hue node?

1 Like