It just works

ESPHome on an esp8266, a logic converter to shift between 3.3 and 5v, and a usb endpiece. Using HA for control as it has a pretty interface for it even granny can understand :wink:

3 Likes

I would love a walkthrough guide once you have some free time. No rush though as I have not pulled the trigger yet, but given these energy costs, I am thinking that switching from resistive to heat pump heating will be worth its weight in gold.

How do you control ESPHome devices without home assistant? Is there an API where you can send requests via node-red similar to MQTT or do you need a central device manager to handle that like NR or presumably what CORE will have?

Yes. I’ve only ever controlled it through NR. But it will have a direct integration in CORE.

1 Like

A naive question that probably unmasks how little I paid attention during online meetings …
Which of the following flows is correct for an ip-based device, for example based on EspHome?

Flow 1

1. first of all you need to “declare / add” the device to the CORE hub only once
  2. at this point it is possible to use NR and / or (?) CORE (… rule engine) and any other environments integrated into CORE for writing rules

Flow 2

1. “declare / add” the device in NR
  2. “declare / add” the device in CORE
  3. at this point I can create rules in NR, CORE, … only for the devices I added in the specific environment

What’s about the flow for zigbee / zwave devices?
What’s about the flow for devices managed by other hubs (for example HE)?

If I can make a wish … once I receive CORE I would like to have some sample video pills on how to implement a motion light for different devices: Shelly, EspHome, Xiaomi or other zigbee on different environments (NR, CORE, …)

Obviously mine is just a wish …

2 Likes

A walkthrough has actually been on my to-do list for awhile now. Sadly with grannies health issues recently I haven’t really had the time for anything. Thankfully we have Markus and April so my current situation hasn’t slowed things down with CORE at all :slight_smile:

Although there is an API with ESPHome the most common way to interact with devices outside of HA is by enabling MQTT or the web interface on the device.

Depending on use case you can often set up all the logic on device and eliminate the need for external control entirely. This is especially useful in places where a network connection isn’t easily made available but automation is still desired.

2 Likes

@roberto
I’m working on that.

3 Likes