How do you use these again?

Soo … your thoughts on this? Why is it better or worse? What are you doing with it? I’m truly interested.

Node red and thinking about homebridge… I am sure it can do loads more than that, but I am a kiss person…
And it has been easy to use…

I googled it and people are setting up media and storage with them. I never knew that they existed. I need to get out more.

I don’t know if it will be more reliable, but i am using emmc and that had to be better than the sdcard I had on my pi.

1 Like

Odroid is what the Home Assistant team sells as their “Blue” branded device right?

FYI, if you use PiVPN, they have a backup option where you can import/export your key-pairs and transfer them between installs. No clue if they are encrypted though so I am unsure if they are safe to keep a backup just on the system.

I’ve been using wireguard. It’s pretty easy to set up and I’ve only one connection. It’ll be, hopefully less painful than this node red thing was.

Do you use the Node-RED project feature to backup your flows to GitHub?

Do you use the Node-RED project feature to backup your flows to GitHub? Using this it was painless for me to get back up and running. The only issue I had was downloading dependencies, which the notification was larger than my screen, and I could not dismiss it, so I had to change my screen resolution to see it all.

Also PiVPN allows for OpenVPN or WireGuard (they recommend WG) in the backend, it is purely a front-end CLI management system.

1 Like

Yah … can’t keep up with all of the debian stuff when my life from 8-5 is immersed in Microsoft. Hard to switch gears all the time. So, I’ll nod my head and smile and say … I like wireguard no matter how it’s installed.
:grin:
I’m terrible with backups. I just grab the flows and keep them in a file. I back up some flows individually and name them with the names of the nodes that accompany them. After I hadn’t made many changes I hadn’t done it for while, so I worried a bit when my Pi croaked.

I would highly recommend their project feature; it is super useful and forces you to annotate changes whenever you upload to GitHub.

Here is the project documentation if anyone is interested:
https://nodered.org/docs/user-guide/projects/

I have been on backup kick as of late, backup shell scripts, cron scheduling, the whole shebang, due to my RPi not being able to boot on power loss without user intervention, which I only recently got time to reset and restore to a fresh Raspberry Pi OS install.

Out of everything, the most annoying has been Grafana since I have not found any way to access/backup my dashboards from a CLI. I have just had to manually copy the JSON from the GUI and save it manually, which is annoying. It is very strange too because they have version control built into their saving system, comments and all.

1 Like

You may want to look at this as well! I have not tried “restoring” from this backup (and hopefully I don’t need to!)

I strongly recommend that you do. How else do you know for sure that it works as intended? I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen/heard where someone didn’t test their backups only to find they didn’t work when a real need arose. I suggest you create a test instance of NR to try restoring your backup to.

Yeah - I know I have to do it. Just been putting it off

I have a couple of installs of NR - my primary one is on RPi4 (Homebridge image) and this is the one that is backed up and a test one on a Mac (with a bunch of nodes that are not in my live instance). I can install a fresh instance on a another Mac but not sure if a RPi backup will work if I put it on a Mac. Any thoughts on that?

UPDATE: It works! I had to rename two files (flows and credentials) but other than that, it was just copying everything from the .node-red folder into the one on my Mac. Thanks for making me do this…

A whole system backup will not work but for NR all you need is the .node-red directory contents and children. That is all JS and fully transportable cross platform. I believe the only thing that could trip you up is having different versions of NR or nodejs installed.

Yeah - that’s all I am backing up (.node-red directory) and apart from renaming the two files because of different usernames, it worked.

Good deal :+1: Don’t you feel better now? :grin:

2 Likes

Uhm … Yah … I put it off … just a hair too long. BUT, I was given graces and was able to restore from the old ssd that used to be my pi. #doasisaynotasido

2 Likes

Ain’t THAT the truth!

2 Likes

:woman_shrugging:

1 Like